PDA

View Full Version : The Big Fat Positive Brexit Thread

Cirrus
29th June 2017, 16:52
I'm coming around to thinking Brexit won't be such a huge disaster. I suspect we are talking less than £10 billion a year. That's hardly eye watering when you think of what is being pissed away on that Victorian amusement park called HS2.

So it's time to look on the bright side.

Problem is so far nobody has mentioned a single thing we are going to get out of this. So let's together make a BIG LIST !?

Firstly, let's knock on the head any abstract airy-fairy nonsense. So you can't say

x) We can make our own laws.

Personally I'm not aware of any laws that I or anybody I know was wanting to make. But I accept you may know better. So fine if you suggest

1) we can go along the M1 at 95 mph after Brexit.

Similarly it's no good saying

y) We can strike up trade deals all over the place.

You need to say what trade deal you want to set up that wasn't already covered by EU membership. Probably selling nuclear components to North Korea is not a good one to put near the top.

Now the only thing I'm aware of is there are high tariffs on certain farm products. So I'll set the ball rolling with:

1) New Zealand Lamb Chops will be cheaper.

Please append yours.

(We'll need to stop when the list gets into the millions.)

Eirikur
29th June 2017, 17:07
:tumble:

VectraMan
29th June 2017, 17:07
If New Zealand lamb chops are cheaper Brexiteers will moan about it and insist we cut ourselves off from NZ and support PC and his friends in Wales.

scooterscot
29th June 2017, 17:43
The pund is crashing quicker than a woman only destruction derby. For non-doms like me Brexit presents a unique opportunity to beef up my BTL portfolio.

scooterscot
29th June 2017, 17:52
x) We can make our own laws.

Personally I'm not aware of any laws that I or anybody I know was wanting to make. But I accept you may know better. So fine if you suggest

EU law currently prohibits PM May from hiding a CCTV camera in you bathroom with which to measure you average stool quality.

It's not about making laws as such it's about stripping the ones that currently prevents the UK to moving even further to the right.

chopper
29th June 2017, 19:40
pissed away on that Victorian amusement park called HS2.
OK, nowt to do with the EU, but...

HS2 is a High Speed rail line which will pretty much provide InterCity service along what is currently the West Coast Main Line corridor. It is well known that the WCML is at full capacity, there is no more capacity to run more trains on that line. And at peak times, those Virgin Trains services are pretty packed.

So we need more capacity along that corridor. We could do another incremental update on the existing WCML (remember the years of pain 15 years ago?) or we could run another link which isn't High Speed. But I cannot imagine the cost differential of 'regular speed' and 'high speed' in construction to be much different. And fresh rail is going to be less disruptive than upgrades to the existing rail.

Years of neglect and poor planning meant nobody considered that it would be massively overcapacity. That's why we cannot easily have longer, faster trains. That's why it would be nigh on impossible to increase capacity with double decker trains.

So if we were to not build HS2, how would you instead address the capacity issues on the WCML?

DimPrawn
29th June 2017, 20:54
Here you go, all the positive things Brexit will bring, written down, in one, easy to read list.

http://nigelpoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/05_Tiny-Writing-Detail.jpg

Bloody worn out writing that out, that's for sure.

MarillionFan
30th June 2017, 07:01
I have already started negotiating trade deals.

I am planning to buy my sledges from Greenland next year & will be selling them ice from my fridge.

BrilloPad
30th June 2017, 08:10
EDIT - SE got there first - apologies - http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/122471-cereal-wars-new-zealand.html

I think we are heading for a trade war with NZ: -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/30/british-weetabix-seized-by-new-zealand-customs-in-breakfast-bowl-battle-with-rival

Will they ban Marmite in favour of vegimite?

motoukenin
30th June 2017, 09:00
There is no list, the purpose of Brexit was to bring back Spangles (whatever they were)

Lambert Simnel
30th June 2017, 11:41
2) This is going to consume so much of the government's and the civil service's time over the next few years that there will precious little opportunity for any other radical shake-up (a la poll tax) in that period.

sal
30th June 2017, 13:15
OK, nowt to do with the EU, but...

HS2 is a High Speed rail line which will pretty much provide InterCity service along what is currently the West Coast Main Line corridor. It is well known that the WCML is at full capacity, there is no more capacity to run more trains on that line. And at peak times, those Virgin Trains services are pretty packed.

So we need more capacity along that corridor. We could do another incremental update on the existing WCML (remember the years of pain 15 years ago?) or we could run another link which isn't High Speed. But I cannot imagine the cost differential of 'regular speed' and 'high speed' in construction to be much different. And fresh rail is going to be less disruptive than upgrades to the existing rail.

Years of neglect and poor planning meant nobody considered that it would be massively overcapacity. That's why we cannot easily have longer, faster trains. That's why it would be nigh on impossible to increase capacity with double decker trains.

So if we were to not build HS2, how would you instead address the capacity issues on the WCML?

The root cause is too much focus is put on London which requires bigger and bigger workforce, commuting from further away, HS2 will only compound the problem. If those billions are instead focused on developing other regions like the so called Northern powerhouse less people will have to travel to London and the demand on the WCML will drop.

Not to mention that a massive amount of HS2 money are spent on obscure stuff. For instance UCL are already getting millions from HS2 for a Datacenter migration as the Euston station expansion will knock down one of their existing DCs.

Back the original topic, the only real "benefit" i can think of, is that Brexit will expose (it's already happening) the level of degradation in the UK politics and might lead to some much needed reforms.

BrilloPad
30th June 2017, 13:26
At least the Wimbedon twunts will not get their strawberries this year: -

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/30/wimbledon-strawberry-farmer-warns-of-post-brexit-staff-shortage

sal
30th June 2017, 13:44
At least the Wimbedon twunts will not get their strawberries this year: -

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/30/wimbledon-strawberry-farmer-warns-of-post-brexit-staff-shortage

The schemes allowing for East europeans (mostly students) to work seasonal jobs in the UK existed (and were abused) long before the countries joined the EU. I don't imagine their reintroduction to be that big of a deal. The problem remains with the non-seasonal jobs like NHS, child care, engineers, builders, shelf stackers, burger flippers. Jobs that Brits either lack the skill to perform or pay less than cosy life on benefits, enjoyed by 2nd and 3rd generation of benefit scroungers.

TestMangler
30th June 2017, 13:46
There will be massive opportunities to get the old women from the WRI into sweatshops to make jam for export to Ghana.

Guesstimator
30th June 2017, 14:02
The root cause is too much focus is put on London which requires bigger and bigger workforce, commuting from further away, HS2 will only compound the problem. If those billions are instead focused on developing other regions like the so called Northern powerhouse less people will have to travel to London and the demand on the WCML will drop.

Not to mention that a massive amount of HS2 money are spent on obscure stuff. For instance UCL are already getting millions from HS2 for a Datacenter migration as the Euston station expansion will knock down one of their existing DCs.

Back the original topic, the only real "benefit" i can think of, is that Brexit will expose (it's already happening) the level of degradation in the UK politics and might lead to some much needed reforms.

A thousand times this. HS2 is delivering a solution in fifteen years time with ideas from fifteen years ago. Advances in technology will make it redundant before a single train runs on it.

Business have been one of the driving forces for HS2, stating they need to move people between Birmingham and London.
When the fare structure comes in, you can bet your bum few businesses will bother sending people on HS2 instead of VC (more realistically VR).

Chuck in that the DoT despairs of HS2 Ltd and the complete **** up they're making of it from top to bottom and I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see it canned.

Positive Brexit - we won't be able to afford to waste money on HS2

SueEllen
30th June 2017, 16:20
There will be massive opportunities to get the old women from the WRI into sweatshops to make jam for export to Ghana.

Then our qualified dentists can emigrate over their to sort out their rotten teeth and have a better lifestyle.

Cirrus
30th June 2017, 21:28
Obviously I suspected people would struggle to come up with any tangible benefits of Brexit but I have to say I am rather shocked - in fact stunned - that nobody can thing of anything - even barmy or contentious items.

Why the hell did they vote for...

... nothing?

TestMangler
30th June 2017, 21:34
Obviously I suspected people would struggle to come up with any tangible benefits of Brexit but I have to say I am rather shocked - in fact stunned - that nobody can thing of anything - even barmy or contentious items.

Why the hell did they vote for...

... nothing?

Taking back control (of things they already controlled) and £350m a week for the NHS, apparently.

vetran
30th June 2017, 21:56
winners don't have to explain to losers :grin

WTFH
30th June 2017, 22:11
winners don't have to explain to losers :grin

So, please explain, cause the EU won't.

PurpleGorilla
1st July 2017, 10:10
The law I am keen to see got rid of is the state aid laws.

British warships should be built out of British steel.

PurpleGorilla
1st July 2017, 10:12
The pund is crashing quicker than a woman only destruction derby. For non-doms like me Brexit presents a unique opportunity to beef up my BTL portfolio.

BTL landlords are locusts.

scooterscot
1st July 2017, 10:32
BTL landlords are locusts.

Not me. No Sir. I provide a high quality product will all the mod-cons expected by UK tenants. This modern day and age demands I'm pulling out all the stops to stand out from the crowd with a standard of living for an aspiring UK labour working class. Facilities include indoor plumbing, concrete flooring for easy cleaning and something called electricity. All this in a generous 40sqm basement apartment.

PurpleGorilla
1st July 2017, 11:06
Not me. No Sir. I provide a high quality product will all the mod-cons expected by UK tenants. This modern day and age demands I'm pulling out all the stops to stand out from the crowd with a standard of living for an aspiring UK labour working class. Facilities include indoor plumbing, concrete flooring for easy cleaning and something called electricity. All this in a generous 40sqm basement apartment.

Let me guess:

No pets
No children
No smoking (including vaping)
No sharers
No benefits
No Irish
No Blacks
No life

Cirrus
1st July 2017, 11:36
The law I am keen to see got rid of is the state aid laws. British warships should be built out of British steel.
Full marks for coming up with a tangible effect of Brexit. I think that makes you a thought leader :yay: on this channel just at this moment. Every other brexiteer seems to be gazing at their navels and dribbling.

A fundamental principle of the EU is a level playing field. This stops you using British steel purely on the grounds our useless steel industry would lose out and have to bus tons of locals down to the job centre.

However you know what we remainers are going to ask next: why do you think we lose on balance from this free market? Why do you think we couldn't have got as many compensating deals in the EU as we lost here in Blighty?

An obvious answer is the UK is crap compared to everywhere else, so we need protection from the harsh winds of competition. Now that might indeed be a valid point. It's not however one that was ever mentioned in all the vacuous claptrap thrown at the gullible public on the run up to the referendum. Do you think they worked that out for themselves -like you, Purp - or is there a teeny weeny risk they are still struggling to remember why they voted Leave?

VectraMan
1st July 2017, 12:33
The law I am keen to see got rid of is the state aid laws.

British warships should be built out of British steel.

This is why the loony left hate the EU as much as the loony right. You're going to be delighted when Corbyn takes power and nationalises everything.

DimPrawn
1st July 2017, 12:37
This is why the loony left hate the EU as much as the loony right. You're going to be delighted when Corbyn takes power and nationalises everything.

https://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/images/print-edition/20150919_LDP010_0.jpg

original PM
1st July 2017, 13:30
Ze laws will be obeyed...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/822936/European-Court-of-Justice-Italy-work-permit-cash-hand-out

WTFH
1st July 2017, 14:51
Massive positive: the UK economy is the worst performing in the EU. When we leave, we will no longer be the worst performing in the EU.

PurpleGorilla
1st July 2017, 14:52
Full marks for coming up with a tangible effect of Brexit. I think that makes you a thought leader :yay: on this channel just at this moment. Every other brexiteer seems to be gazing at their navels and dribbling.

A fundamental principle of the EU is a level playing field. This stops you using British steel purely on the grounds our useless steel industry would lose out and have to bus tons of locals down to the job centre.

However you know what we remainers are going to ask next: why do you think we lose on balance from this free market? Why do you think we couldn't have got as many compensating deals in the EU as we lost here in Blighty?

An obvious answer is the UK is crap compared to everywhere else, so we need protection from the harsh winds of competition. Now that might indeed be a valid point. It's not however one that was ever mentioned in all the vacuous claptrap thrown at the gullible public on the run up to the referendum. Do you think they worked that out for themselves -like you, Purp - or is there a teeny weeny risk they are still struggling to remember why they voted Leave?

Not really bothered why others voted leave, that's their choice.

Cirrus
1st July 2017, 16:16
Massive positive: the UK economy is the worst performing in the EU. When we leave, we will no longer be the worst performing in the EU.Can't fault your logic but I doubt that was what was going through voters' minds so we're currently left with Purp's Britain is too crap to survive inside the EU. The big problem with this proposition is I seem to remember we are not largely self contained (like eg the USA) but are actually the Worlds Greatest Trading Nation (tm) in terms of percentage of imports and exports vs internal consumption. I'm ready to be corrected on that but it doesn't bode well for hiding in a corner as a strategy.

I'm really disappointed everyone has stayed schtum on the thorny issue of millions of third world rapists and jihadis pouring into the ports and Angela Merkel refusing to do anything about it whilst meanwhile they run-over, stab and explode every innocent French waiter or New Zealander on holiday over here. Research has shown immigration was a big (biggest) factor when people took their pens to their ballot sheets.

NotAllThere
2nd July 2017, 12:32
I'm really disappointed everyone has stayed schtum on the thorny issue of millions of third world rapists and jihadis pouring into the portsMillions. Really. :winker:

vetran
2nd July 2017, 12:51
Millions. Really. :winker:

not a lot of men called Smith & Jones in this lot

BBC One - Crimewatch - Wanted Faces (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/58Wdsb8FKdhTWWNBHGRLsLf/wanted-faces)

as only 1 in 8 in the UK is now foreign born they seem to be over represented here.

darmstadt
2nd July 2017, 13:51
I'm really disappointed everyone has stayed schtum on the thorny issue of millions of third world rapists and jihadis pouring into the ports and Angela Merkel refusing to do anything about it whilst meanwhile they run-over, stab and explode every innocent French waiter or New Zealander on holiday over here. Research has shown immigration was a big (biggest) factor when people took their pens to their ballot sheets.

not a lot of men called Smith & Jones in this lot

BBC One - Crimewatch - Wanted Faces (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/58Wdsb8FKdhTWWNBHGRLsLf/wanted-faces)

as only 1 in 8 in the UK is now foreign born they seem to be over represented here.

Just too many damn furriners in the UK now. Maybe I could direct you gentlemen here, EDL (http://www.edl.me/)

vetran
2nd July 2017, 14:02
Just too many damn furriners in the UK now. Maybe I could direct you gentlemen here, EDL (http://www.edl.me/)

awesome what a lovely protest.

Unfortunately we have a problem and suggesting anyone who discusses it is a racist is hardly helpful.

SueEllen
2nd July 2017, 14:50

Unfortunately we have a problem and suggesting anyone who discusses it is a racist is hardly helpful.

Didn't see him call you racist. Just saw him direct you to a group of people who share your views.

vetran
2nd July 2017, 15:06
Just too many damn furriners in the UK now.

Didn't see him call you racist. Just saw him direct you to a group of people who share your views.

maybe I misunderstood?

darmstadt
2nd July 2017, 15:20

maybe I misunderstood?

Maybe you should try clicking on the link...This is one of the problems of today, people don't research before spouting off...

vetran
2nd July 2017, 15:32
Maybe you should try clicking on the link...This is one of the problems of today, people don't research before spouting off...

I did click on the link, I liked the idea of Disco against racists.

BrilloPad
2nd July 2017, 17:46

I thought you told him to stop exaggerating at least a million times....

vetran
2nd July 2017, 17:55

8.7 million foreign born apparently

Migrants in the UK: An Overview - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory (http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/migrants-in-the-uk-an-overview/#kp1)

Between 1993 and 2015 the foreign-born population in the UK more than doubled from 3.8 million to around 8.7 million. During the same period, the number of foreign citizens increased from nearly 2 million to more than 5 million.

one assumes some of them are wrong uns.