• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fiduciary Advance and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiduciary Advance and IR35

Just starting a contract that's inside IR35, (public sector) and been advised by the agency that I need to contract through an Umbrella Company. Previously always been outside IR35 and gone via my own PSC.

I'm been approached by an Umbrella company that has said that via an agreement with a Trust, it will allow me to receive funds by way of a Fiduciary Advance which is non taxable.

The advice is that I "will become an employee of the preferred Umbrella Company. As an employee, IR35 just isn't applicable so this is something you needn't worry about.
    They will pay you a salary and pay all Tax and NIC's due on your behalf. "

With this in mind I can take home about 84% instead of approx 60%.

This is all new to me. Anyone else done this and is it legit???

Run for the hills!
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
      Anyone else done this and is it legit???
      Yes (see the HMRC Scheme Enquiries forum), and no (see the HMRC Scheme Enquiries forum).

If everyone could legitimately take home 84% then everyone would do it (and HMG would then legislate to stop that happening). We don't for a reason.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...following.html

Comment

Legit? Well that depends on your definition. It is almost certainly structured to conform to legislation and the relevant trust law.

The chances of it being effective are good. Until an enquiry starts. Then if you are really lucky the downside is only the "saving". The reality is the downside could very easily be a lot worse.

Comment

Who is it?

I don't know which is the biggest disgrace. The fact these schemes are still running or that the agents are pushing people towards them.

I'm making an assumption this is the case for the OP but I do know agencies still have people like this on their PSL so a general comment.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 3 July 2017, 14:18.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Who is it?

I don't know which is the biggest disgrace. The fact these schemes are still running or that the agents are pushing people towards them.
              How did they get in touch with you? Did they call you or were they recommended by your agency?

Comment

Who is it?

I don't think its the agency in this case. From the OP: -

Originally posted by Carter View Post
                been advised by the agency that I need to contract through an Umbrella Company.
                I'm been approached by an Umbrella company that has said that.
                I would like the FCA to go after Umbrellas like that in the same way they go after Pyramid schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I don't think its the agency in this case. From the OP: -
                  Yeah saw that but how did the umbrella suddenly know to approach him?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeah saw that but how did the umbrella suddenly know to approach him?
                    There is a website comparetheumbrella that pretends to be a umbrella comparison site but is actually a front / lead generator for a tax avoidance scheme.

Edit top link here http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post2386355
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X