• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

plug in hybrid car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plug in hybrid car

Anyone give me the low-down on whether this changes the numbers for having a car through the company ?

How many company miles a year are you doing, how many personal, how much is the car, etc.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
      Anyone give me the low-down on whether this changes the numbers for having a car through the company ?
      Your accountant?

Have a look on the HMRC pages. Last time this came up a year or two ago I though hybrids were taxed as a petrol so no change? There are a couple of threads on it here but they aren't recent.

Id just ping your accountant a mail and get them to sort it for you.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
        CO2 emmissions from a hybrid are generally really low. So if you put it through your Ltd - company car tax is likely much lower than a standard petrol/diesel. Look up a company car tax calc to check. It can save you a couple of hundred a month depending on what the alternative is.

Comment

OTOH private mileage allowance of 45p per mile is probably way more than you'll actually spend.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

why go half measures? go 100% electric, the first Tesla Model 3's are ready end of this month
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Any of this hybrid/leccy low/zero tax approach get around not being able to claim business expenses for travelling to client site (for whatever reason, e.g. 24 month rule) due to how it may be accounted differently such as estimates split between business/personal use rather than needing to log every business journey for tax purposes?

Figuring if it's 100% leccy then actual travel to client cost is zero (if leccy not claimed back from personal house supply) so just the car purchase cost and BIK to worry about for tax purposes?

I expect it's not that simple.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I looked into this but BIK even for full electric vehicles is starting to ramp up (check out Company Car Tax Calculator | Comcar) especially given there's also a premium on hybrid/electric cars and list price is a factor in the calculation. If you're going down this route the "company commercial truck" seems to be the better way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernHarrier View Post
                  I looked into this but BIK even for full electric vehicles is starting to ramp up (check out Company Car Tax Calculator | Comcar) especially given there's also a premium on hybrid/electric cars and list price is a factor in the calculation. If you're going down this route the "company commercial truck" seems to be the better way to go.

Indeed. 9% rising to 16% over next couple of years for base Tesla model S costing north of £50k.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernHarrier View Post
                    Exactly what I ended up finding out too.

Better off buying a pickup truck as a commercial vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                    X