PDA

View Full Version : Washer dryer

VectraMan
5th July 2017, 10:56
I need to buy a washing machine for a new place I'm renting, but it seems you can get a washer-dryer combo for only a little more. I lived somewhere years ago with a separate dryer and it was handy, but I've no experience of the combos and I'm half expecting people to say "NOOOO! It's a terrible idea. They always break down, ruin your clothes, and use so much electricity it'd be cheaper to buy new clothes each time."

Any IT contractors with expert knowledge?

sasguru
5th July 2017, 11:01
I always had combi washer dryers for my rentals, it's a good idea for space reasons and also only one machine to maintain and replace.
I used Hotpoints (because low to mid price, you don't want a Miele for a rental) and they were fine - life expectancy was about 5 years.

WTFH
5th July 2017, 11:02
NOOOO! It's a terrible idea.
Inefficient, complex design, liable to failure.

Two options with a machine - get a cheap one (e.g. Beko) and accept that it may or may not last < 5 years. Option 2, get a Miele at around 3-5x the price, but pretty much bombproof and guaranteed for 10 years, so hopefully will manage 20.

VectraMan
5th July 2017, 11:08
Two options with a machine - get a cheap one (e.g. Beko) and accept that it may or may not last < 5 years. Option 2, get a Miele at around 3-5x the price, but pretty much bombproof and guaranteed for 10 years, so hopefully will manage 20.

Ouch. £1400 for the appropriately named Miele WTF1300 from Currys, or £289 for an Indesit.

BTW I'm not an scummy evil capitalist landlord, but a poverty struck scraping pennies from behind the sofa to pay the rent tenant.

d000hg
5th July 2017, 11:12
I've heard bad things about combis but that's what we've always had. We've been married in our own houses for ~10 years and on our second machine... the first was about the cheapest we could find and lasted ~8 years. The second is a more decent, larger one with direct-drive motor and a longer warranty than is typical. We probably do 3-4 loads per week of washing, and 1-2 of drying depending on the weather. Mainly the dryer is used just for undies.

SueEllen
5th July 2017, 11:18
Personally I've found combos take forever to dry washing. All the ones I've used you have had to empty half the load out if you want your stuff to dry in a reasonable time*.

If there is no space for a separate dryer, then I prefer a washing machine with a high spin speed then I use a clothes horse with a dehumidifier in winter.

*Drying towels and bedding. Undies dry quickly so why use a dryer?

SueEllen
5th July 2017, 11:20
Ouch. £1400 for the appropriately named Miele WTF1300 from Currys, or £289 for an Indesit.

BTW I'm not an scummy evil capitalist landlord, but a poverty struck scraping pennies from behind the sofa to pay the rent tenant.

Get the Indesit - most tenants won't break it and even if they do you can get another one cheaply.

northernladyuk
5th July 2017, 11:24
The efficiency problem with combis is that they need to dry the machine as well as the clothes. They do seem to take a long time in any case, but if space is limited and you don't want to hang clothes around he house, it's probably your best choice.

oscarose
5th July 2017, 11:26
Service wash, dry and iron everytime!

:smokin

Eirikur
5th July 2017, 11:28
Had a Bosch washer/dryer, broke down in 2 years now have a much cheaper hotpoint which has never broken down since I bought it 6 years ago

TheFaQQer
5th July 2017, 11:28
We have a washer-dryer and the drying performance (despite the good ratings etc) was awful.

So now we have a washer-dryer and a separate dryer as well which works fine.

(And if you're buying from Currys / PCWorld and you're an IPSE member, don't forget your 7% discount via IPSE Advantages!)

VectraMan
5th July 2017, 11:43
Service wash, dry and iron everytime!

:smokin

Do they still exist? I haven't been to one in about 25 years.

original PM
5th July 2017, 11:47
Indeed

Service Washes at LaundryPlus, Timperley, Altrincham, Cheshire (http://www.laundryplus.co.uk/ServiceWashes.htm)

Give the laundrette lady 1 big load every 2 weeks will cost about

£300 per year....

barrydidit
5th July 2017, 11:49
Undies dry quickly so why use a dryer?

Cause the skiddies haven't come out and you don't want the neighbours to see them on the line?

d000hg
5th July 2017, 11:49
Personally I've found combos take forever to dry washing. All the ones I've used you have had to empty half the load out if you want your stuff to dry in a reasonable time*.

If there is no space for a separate dryer, then I prefer a washing machine with a high spin speed then I use a clothes horse with a dehumidifier in winter.

*Drying towels and bedding. Undies dry quickly so why use a dryer?Well they typically have a smaller capacity for washing and drying e.g. ours is 9kg wash 6kg dry. If you're washing a full load then yes, you'll need to split it for drying. But you don't have to do a full load.

BoredBloke
5th July 2017, 12:18
If it's for a flat you are renting out then who cares how efficient and useable it is. They will be paying for the leccy

scooterscot
5th July 2017, 12:25
Ouch. £1400 for the appropriately named Miele WTF1300 from Currys, or £289 for an Indesit...

Wasn't it a hotpoint / indesit fridge freezer that started the fire in tower block? - you get way you pay for.

Spent £900 on a washer dryer for our rental recently (https://www.johnlewis.com/siemens-wd14h421gb-washer-dryer-7kg-wash-4kg-dry-load-a-energy-rating-1400rpm-spin-white/p1603790#media-overlay_show), Siemens model. JL fitted and removed the old one without worries. Uses a condenser instead of heat for drying, very energy efficient.

I'd pick peace of mind over price every time.

WTFH
5th July 2017, 12:37
Wasn't it a hotpoint / indesit fridge freezer that started the fire in tower block?

Yes, and their tumble dryers have also had issues...
http://www.itv.com/news/2016-04-18/hotpoint-dryer-fire-risk-which-models-are-affected/

northernladyuk
5th July 2017, 12:46
Yes, and their tumble dryers have also had issues...
Hotpoint dryer fire risk: Which models are affected? - ITV News (http://www.itv.com/news/2016-04-18/hotpoint-dryer-fire-risk-which-models-are-affected/)

At least your clothes end up dry.

Edit: there does seem to be a fairly cheap and quick fix if you invest in some green stickers.

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/956298/stream_img.jpg

SueEllen
5th July 2017, 12:59
Do they still exist? I haven't been to one in about 25 years.

Yep they do.

However finding a laundrette is like looking for hen's teeth.

When you do find one you find most make their money now by concentrating on washing and ironing men's shirts.

d000hg
5th July 2017, 13:01
Wasn't it a hotpoint / indesit fridge freezer that started the fire in tower block? - you get way you pay for.That's the argument the people selling the expensive stuff use, certainly.

You certainly never see £250k super-cars catching fire, or top-spec smart-phones that can't make phone-calls, bend, or catch fire.

SueEllen
5th July 2017, 13:03
Well they typically have a smaller capacity for washing and drying e.g. ours is 9kg wash 6kg dry. If you're washing a full load then yes, you'll need to split it for drying. But you don't have to do a full load.

"reasonable" in my original post was a polite way of saying less than fecking ever. They take ages to dry anything.

If you want to use a dryer and want stuff to dry quickly just buy a separate dryer.

oscarose
5th July 2017, 13:04
Yep they do.

However finding a laundrette is like looking for hen's teeth.

Not in Yorkshire :wink

washing and ironing men's shirts

That's the idea :smokin

d000hg
5th July 2017, 13:04
We've actually had a laundrette open round here recently: The Old Cinema Launderette (http://www.oldcinemalaunderette.com/)

And we have another laundrette/ironing service too - we used to use it for ironing and it was great. They come and collect your stuff and bring it back lovely and ironed.

SueEllen
5th July 2017, 13:06
Wasn't it a hotpoint / indesit fridge freezer that started the fire in tower block? - you get way you pay for.

Spent £900 on a washer dryer for our rental recently (https://www.johnlewis.com/siemens-wd14h421gb-washer-dryer-7kg-wash-4kg-dry-load-a-energy-rating-1400rpm-spin-white/p1603790#media-overlay_show), Siemens model. JL fitted and removed the old one without worries. Uses a condenser instead of heat for drying, very energy efficient.

I'd pick peace of mind over price every time.

Not necessarily. Siemens American style fridges have had a load of issues and they aren't cheap. So I wouldn't blame it solely on the price.

d000hg
5th July 2017, 13:12
"reasonable" in my original post was a polite way of saying less than fecking ever. They take ages to dry anything.

If you want to use a dryer and want stuff to dry quickly just buy a separate dryer.Why are you in such a rush?

SueEllen
5th July 2017, 13:15
Why are you in such a rush?

Because I don't like leaving dryers - regardless of the make and manufacturer - on when I'm out or asleep.

That's due to personally knowing people who have had fires when they did this.

Mordac
5th July 2017, 14:18

WHS - Miele all the way. Cheap ones are always breaking down, or occasionally catching fire. Bosch used to be very good, but our latest washer/dryer was built in Albania or somewhere, and it's absolute crap, so it'll be Miele next time.

WTFH
5th July 2017, 15:44
Not necessarily. Siemens American style fridges have had a load of issues and they aren't cheap. So I wouldn't blame it solely on the price.

Fisher & Paykel for fridges.

Paddy
5th July 2017, 16:12
Indeed

Service Washes at LaundryPlus, Timperley, Altrincham, Cheshire (http://www.laundryplus.co.uk/ServiceWashes.htm)

Give the laundrette lady 1 big load every 2 weeks will cost about

£300 per year....

For £300 a year you could buy a year's supply of clothes from Primark and throw them away after use.

OwlHoot
5th July 2017, 16:24
... you don't want a Miele for a rental ...

You pennypinching BTL-exploiting Rachmanite! I bet you don't provide a Miele dishwasher for your tenants either. :tongue

scooterscot
5th July 2017, 16:48
WHS - Miele all the way. Cheap ones are always breaking down, or occasionally catching fire. Bosch used to be very good, but our latest washer/dryer was built in Albania or somewhere, and it's absolute crap, so it'll be Miele next time.

What happened to the Brexit boycotting of German goods?

SueEllen
5th July 2017, 19:47
For £300 a year you could buy a year's supply of clothes from Primark and throw them away after use.

The only problem with that is you would waste loads of time shopping including trying on the clothes before hand.

vetran
5th July 2017, 20:10
The only problem with that is you would waste loads of time shopping including trying on the clothes before hand.

???

we are blokes

12 pairs of cargo pants.
50 T shirts.

underthings. - get mine from Next they last.
Socks ASDA - sorry the only ones that last.

in & out in under 30 mins. Or shop online.

vetran
5th July 2017, 20:12
Fisher & Paykel for fridges.

seconded.

northernladyuk
5th July 2017, 20:13
You pennypinching BTL-exploiting Rachmanite! I bet you don't provide a Miele dishwasher for your tenants either. :tongue

You want two really.

vetran
5th July 2017, 20:15

agreed I used to rate Bosch but have heard bad things recently.

We have a Beko and the cats love hearing it sing to them when it finishes. Must be 2 years old now, the hotpoint before kept shorting out.

PhiltheGreek
5th July 2017, 20:23
As part of the pending upgrades to the palace, we're having the dry cleaning facility replaced. Not sure on the cost but it's bound to be a bargain, especially when you see the outfits I've designed for the Latvian birds who'll be working in there.

SueEllen
5th July 2017, 20:31

We have a Beko and the cats love hearing it sing to them when it finishes. Must be 2 years old now, the hotpoint before kept shorting out.

I hope you wrote a review pointing that out.

vetran
5th July 2017, 20:48
I hope you wrote a review pointing that out.

You think I have time after posting on CUK.

SueEllen
5th July 2017, 21:01
You think I have time after posting on CUK.

:(

Mordac
5th July 2017, 22:02

Only the crap ones - I'm not as stupid as you may think :wink

Halo Jones
6th July 2017, 06:13
Having had both combo & separate units my 2p:
Combos sound a great idea but experience says if you are limited to space just go for a good washer as the clothes will come out well spun & only need minimal hanging to dry.

But combos are Expensive to run, Liable to damage clothes & If you have a backlog of washing it will take an age

Previously I had hotpoint combo & then hotpoint separates (I managed to get one of the dryers that was prone to catching fire!) then changed to miele & was so impressed that when the dishwasher died I only looked at miele

Current set up (which has proven the best) is miele separates, the washer spins so well that the very efficient (vented) dryer will dry a clothes load in 27min & bedding load in 43min

With any dryer there is a risk of fire – are you sure the tenants will regularly clean out the filters? As if they do not & the worse happens your insurance may not pay out

Fred Bloggs
6th July 2017, 06:36
We get them from Turkey and China now and just stick German sounding name badges on them. (True).

d000hg
6th July 2017, 11:37

We have a Beko and the cats love hearing it sing to them when it finishes. Must be 2 years old now, the hotpoint before kept shorting out.Ours sings a cheerful tune when it's done too. I think it's a Samsung.

Dark Black
6th July 2017, 15:33

*Drying towels and bedding. Undies dry quickly so why use a dryer?

This.

BlasterBates
6th July 2017, 15:37
If the room you hang up your washing in is aired properly i.e. windows wide open just for a few minutes, they'll be dry in a jiffy, no need for a dryer, or dehumidifier.

SueEllen
6th July 2017, 15:45
If the room you hang up your washing in is aired properly i.e. windows wide open just for a few minutes, they'll be dry in a jiffy, no need for a dryer, or dehumidifier.

Doesn't work in winter especially if there is drizzle outside.

Also the dehumidifier ensures all the water vapour in my house is decreased as my property was built without double glazing and central heating.

MrMarkyMark
6th July 2017, 15:45
As part of the pending upgrades to the palace, we're having the dry cleaning facility replaced. Not sure on the cost but it's bound to be a bargain, especially when you see the outfits I've designed for the Latvian birds who'll be working in there.

I saw those, I thought they were extremely tasteful :smokin

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/250925282686-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

OwlHoot
6th July 2017, 16:21

WHS