• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Washer dryer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washer dryer

I need to buy a washing machine for a new place I'm renting, but it seems you can get a washer-dryer combo for only a little more. I lived somewhere years ago with a separate dryer and it was handy, but I've no experience of the combos and I'm half expecting people to say "NOOOO! It's a terrible idea. They always break down, ruin your clothes, and use so much electricity it'd be cheaper to buy new clothes each time."

Any IT contractors with expert knowledge?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

I always had combi washer dryers for my rentals, it's a good idea for space reasons and also only one machine to maintain and replace.
    I used Hotpoints (because low to mid price, you don't want a Miele for a rental) and they were fine - life expectancy was about 5 years.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

NOOOO! It's a terrible idea.
      Inefficient, complex design, liable to failure.

Two options with a machine - get a cheap one (e.g. Beko) and accept that it may or may not last < 5 years. Option 2, get a Miele at around 3-5x the price, but pretty much bombproof and guaranteed for 10 years, so hopefully will manage 20.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Two options with a machine - get a cheap one (e.g. Beko) and accept that it may or may not last < 5 years. Option 2, get a Miele at around 3-5x the price, but pretty much bombproof and guaranteed for 10 years, so hopefully will manage 20.
        Ouch. £1400 for the appropriately named Miele WTF1300 from Currys, or £289 for an Indesit.

BTW I'm not an scummy evil capitalist landlord, but a poverty struck scraping pennies from behind the sofa to pay the rent tenant.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've heard bad things about combis but that's what we've always had. We've been married in our own houses for ~10 years and on our second machine... the first was about the cheapest we could find and lasted ~8 years. The second is a more decent, larger one with direct-drive motor and a longer warranty than is typical. We probably do 3-4 loads per week of washing, and 1-2 of drying depending on the weather. Mainly the dryer is used just for undies.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Personally I've found combos take forever to dry washing. All the ones I've used you have had to empty half the load out if you want your stuff to dry in a reasonable time*.

If there is no space for a separate dryer, then I prefer a washing machine with a high spin speed then I use a clothes horse with a dehumidifier in winter.

*Drying towels and bedding. Undies dry quickly so why use a dryer?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Ouch. £1400 for the appropriately named Miele WTF1300 from Currys, or £289 for an Indesit.

BTW I'm not an scummy evil capitalist landlord, but a poverty struck scraping pennies from behind the sofa to pay the rent tenant.
              Get the Indesit - most tenants won't break it and even if they do you can get another one cheaply.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The efficiency problem with combis is that they need to dry the machine as well as the clothes. They do seem to take a long time in any case, but if space is limited and you don't want to hang clothes around he house, it's probably your best choice.

Comment

Laundrette

Service wash, dry and iron everytime!

one day at a time

Comment

Had a Bosch washer/dryer, broke down in 2 years now have a much cheaper hotpoint which has never broken down since I bought it 6 years ago

Comment

Working...
                    X