• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taylor Review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taylor Review

<placeholder>

In the process of being leaked here FWIW. Full report next week...

EDIT: full report here.
    Last edited by jamesbrown; 11 July 2017, 10:21.

"dependent contractor"... tulip

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEKWCdQXcAIYcEr.jpg:large

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
      "dependent contractor"... tulip
      I think they're just suggesting a renaming of "worker" status under employment law (to "dependent contractor"), although they're also suggesting that self-employment is better defined in both primary and secondary legislation (something IPSE and others have called for too). There are a few interesting things but, from what I've scanned so far, mostly anticipated.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        I think they're just suggesting a renaming of "worker" status under employment law (to "dependent contractor"), although they're also suggesting that self-employment is better defined in both primary and secondary legislation (something IPSE and others have called for too). There are a few interesting things but, from what I've scanned so far, mostly anticipated.
        Fair enough - the 12 steps a bit concerning too - thoughts on 3?

"12 steps towards fair and decent work with realistic scope for development and fulfilment

Step 3. In the medium term, in the interests of innovation, fair competition and sound public finances we need to make the taxation of labour more consistent across employment forms while at the same time improving the rights and entitlements of self-employed people."

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
          Fair enough - the 12 steps a bit concerning too - thoughts on 3?

"12 steps towards fair and decent work with realistic scope for development and fulfilment

Step 3. In the medium term, in the interests of innovation, fair competition and sound public finances we need to make the taxation of labour more consistent across employment forms while at the same time improving the rights and entitlements of self-employed people."
          Yeah, again, something that has been well-telegraphed. When Hammond started on this journey in the last budget (NICs U-turn), Taylor was only irritated that the gov't didn't hold it's nerve. TBH, I think its going to be rather difficult for the gov't to make sweeping changes in the current circumstances (if it was hard with an overall 17 seat effective majority, it's infinitely harder now....), except where there is strong cross-party support (i.e. more likely on employment rights than taxation). If they do start to move on this, I think they will opt for a slow/steady approach (long consultations). Had May acquired a substantial majority, I would be saying something completely different...

Comment

Regarding 3 if you remove the incentive for companies to pretend people are self employed you may reduce the number of people self employed to more accurate levels...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The Taylor Review is released today already plenty of chat this morning, lots of talk about a new "dependent contractor" status.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40561807

Comment

Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
                The Taylor Review is released today already plenty of chat this morning, lots of talk about a new "dependent contractor" status.

Taylor Review: UK should end cash-in-hand economy - BBC News
                From what has been discussed in the media, "dependent contractor" is just a new name for "worker". That's the line that Taylor was giving on Radio 4 this morning.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  From what has been discussed in the media, "dependent contractor" is just a new name for "worker". That's the line that Taylor was giving on Radio 4 this morning.
                  I would wait and see. I suspect there will be 4 types of worker:-

Employed
                  Zero hours
                  Dependent
                  Self employed...

What I'm really looking forward to is any definition of supervision and control as both that and his dislike of cash in hand are going to be interesting...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Listing to BBC4 this morning they were talking about the report due to be published. Very much appears to be Taylor siding with business about supporting a dependent contractor model who has some but not all rights of a worker.

Had various people such as an Uber driver but interestingly a spokesperson from Plimco's plumbers who hinted that if they have to cover holiday and sick pay it would come out of the hourly rate.

I'm going to assume the sick pay comment is statuary sick pay and rights and everyone in a dependent contractor relationship will have to pay full wack NI with the 'Employer' paying the employer bit.
                    Last edited by BlueSharp; 11 July 2017, 09:24.
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                    X