• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Update to off payroll in Public Sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to off payroll in Public Sector

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/off-payr...9vzzIY7g%3D%3D
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

KUATB
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

So following that link and reading this para:

"If the person you have a contract with asks for the reasons behind your decision in writing, you must respond within 31 days. If you don’t, you’ll become responsible for paying the tax and NICs due."

I'm at the MOD, have written multiple times asking for the 'reasons behind their decision', and have heard nothing back. 31 days has long passed. So they are now responsible for paying the tax and NICs due?

Comment

...and the answer is

...maybe. I've had a reply from HMRC's IR35 Unit:

"To answer your question; the MOD would be responsible for paying the Tax / NICs from your engagement. When you disagree and feel you have been taxed incorrectly, you can request a repayment through your Self-Assessment tax return which HMRC will consider. You will be entitled to challenge HMRC's decision on the validity of a repayment claim through a tax trubunal."

Sounds like Ouch if you're the MOD's HMRC-compliance office next April!

Comment

Working...
        X