• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car passing its MOT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car passing its MOT

AirCon broke Friday night. Took it to ATS to get it checked. It was still full of gas. While checking the electrical fault they looked under a plastic cover under the engine.

Sub Frame almost entirely rusted away. Total death trap. Apparently you cannot fail MOT on something under a cover. Even if customer takes off a wheel nut, puts trim over the top, it cannot be failed. The local mechanic confirmed the same.

Apparently German cars often have plastic all the way under the base of the car now.

Is the UK trying to reduce health and safety standards to Chinese levels so the UK can compete after Brexit?

Perhaps its a sign that you should take Norman Tebbit's advice and get on your bike.

(What car is it, and how old?)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Wow didn't know that.

Will tell my dad who has an old van that they said wouldn't pass the next MOT as a sub frame is rusting and it's uneconomical to fix (too much welding required). So he can just cover it in black plastic and drive the death trap (as surely the problem won't suddenly become so bad to fail on the day of the next MOT) another few years.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Perhaps its a sign that you should take Norman Tebbit's advice and get on your bike.

(What car is it, and how old?)
        Vectra. 2004. I paid £700 for it a year ago. Looking around there seem to be a few more for sale for about that price from 2005-2008.

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        Wow didn't know that.

Will tell my dad who has an old van that they said wouldn't pass the next MOT as a sub frame is rusting and it's uneconomical to fix (too much welding required). So he can just cover it in black plastic and drive the death trap (as surely the problem won't suddenly become so bad to fail on the day of the next MOT) another few years.
        You don't like your Dad very much do you? Baby bp - is that you?

---------------
        I could get it through the next MOT and just sell it on. However I could not live with myself.

I am amazed there aren't more accidents caused by this? Thats the bit that confuses me.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          When he told me what they said at the last MOT I explained the logic I was getting at, that if they say it will fail the next MOT then the problem will occur before then so he'll be driving a death trap at some point between the two MOTs.

He said he'll get shut before the next MOT.

Not sure what will happen if the rust gets too bad, maybe the engine will just fall out one day.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            When he told me what they said at the last MOT I explained the logic I was getting at, that if they say it will fail the next MOT then the problem will occur before then so he'll be driving a death trap at some point between the two MOTs.

He said he'll get shut before the next MOT.

Not sure what will happen if the rust gets too bad, maybe the engine will just fall out one day.
            Can't he just fit a decent second-hand subframe?
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

I could get it through the next MOT and just sell it on. However I could not live with myself.
              Sell it on now.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Apparently German cars often have plastic all the way under the base of the car now.
                It's ze evil EU, innit?

Comment

Working...
                X