• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British contractors fear losing jobs under UK proposal for EU citizens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British contractors fear losing jobs under UK proposal for EU citizens

Up to 45,000 Britons who live and pay tax in Britain but work in mainland Europe could lose their jobs under Theresa May’s proposals for EU citizens in the UK, it has emerged.

British commuters to mainland Europe and short-term contractors who work on the continent say the British proposal does not cater for them.

Chris Williams, 53, an ex-RAF special projects officer, who is working on a software development contract for a European defence consortium in the Netherlands, said: “As soon as the vote for Brexit came along, I started to get worried. At the moment I’m only eligible to work in Europe because Britain is in the EU and each country has double tax agreements.”

He has spent the past decade hopping from one short-term contract to another in Holland, Belgium and Germany and says IT contractors like him are in high demand in Europe.

But because he does not settle in one country he fears his work opportunities will collapse after Brexit.

“If the freedom of movement is gone, I won’t be able to apply for the jobs in the first place,” said Williams, who has worked for the Luftwaffe in Germany and on ballistic missile defence systems, moving around Germany, Belgium and Holland for periods of six months to two years.

Workers like Williams have raised their concern as the European parliament chief Brexit negotiator, Guy Verhofstadt, said MEPs would veto the British proposal unless it was improved. Among the many questions he raised was the lack of provision for EU citizens commuting to the UK: “Why are frontier workers, who work in the UK but live in the EU, not mentioned at all?”"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...itizens-brexit

It was the will of the people...

Crush the saboteurs!

And btw linky
    Last edited by SueEllen; 10 July 2017, 12:04.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My threads get more activity!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        My threads get more activity!
        Crush the saboteurs!

We need a strong and stable thread.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yet another negative biased anti-Brexit thread. There will be plenty of lucrative opportunities in Haiti and Ghana after the trade deals have been signed.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

come to think about it, if a Brit needed to apply for a work permit and visa (eg like Injuns do) for every contract in an EU country, this would take the Brits out of the EU zone contract market as they wouldn't be able to get visa's and permits in time for the start of the contract - permie roles might be more flexible, but contracts need somebody who can start right now

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              come to think about it, if a Brit needed to apply for a work permit and visa (eg like Injuns do) for every contract in an EU country, this would take the Brits out of the EU zone contract market as they wouldn't be able to get visa's and permits in time for the start of the contract - permie roles might be more flexible, but contracts need somebody who can start right now

Milan.
              All roles would need to be sourced from within the EU in the first instance, so any Brits will fall to the back of the queue anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Milan.
                Exactly. No one is caring about whether they're applicable and skilled for the job, it is the timing. If you've got two candidates one is EU the other is not, every time the EU candidate shall be selected first. This is my problem really in a nutshell as I make my services available across several EU countries. That's is why I'm applying for a Deutsch passport. Starting B1 soon - Can't believe I've been studying Deutsch for a whole year now. Still none the wiser.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You're assuming that people in this forum give a shit. They don't because:

1. Most of them aren't IT contracators at all, but permie losers in dead-end non-jobs
                  2. They think their shitty little public sector jobs/contracts will be safe after Brexit because they believe in the magic money tree.

Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Exactly. No one is caring about whether they're applicable and skilled for the job, it is the timing. If you've got two candidates one is EU the other is not, every time the EU candidate shall be selected first. This is my problem really in a nutshell as I make my services available across several EU countries. That's is why I'm applying for a Deutsch passport. Starting B1 soon - Can't believe I've been studying Deutsch for a whole year now. Still none the wiser.
                    on the 18th July I submit my application for my second citizenship, that process will then take 18 months

I passed the language exam in November

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X