• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working without a renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working without a renewal

My current contract expires at the end of the year and I have been 'verbally' told that there is an extension for 3-6 months. Problem is that the client is very slow at getting things 'approved' through the purchase ordering systems here and the agent has yet to get the nod to issue the paperwork.
    Now seems inevitable, as most people are off untill 5th Jan that I will in a position where I have to decide whether to come in without a contract being in place.
    Seems this is not unusual for this site and both client and agent say all is 'ok'. I belive it is, but feel somewhat uneasy about not having things tied up.
    What would you do??

Only you can answer this.

If I believed that I would get paid, then I would carry on working. I’ve done this several times in the past, and always got paid. Try to keep any written evidence of the client asking you to do some work in January (project emails and the like). This “may” come in useful if it all goes wrong because it could constitute a form of contract between you and the client (this is only a guess on my part as I’ve never had to go that far).

On the other hand you would be within your rights to refuse to come in. I know people who take this approach, and it certainly focuses the mind of the paper pushers in HR. If you do this, make sure you keep your client informed of the situation (don’t just fail to show up).

Best of luck.

Comment

I've done it loads of times - in fact I can only remember one contract renewal being done on time. I did a whole year once with no contract at all - money turned up so I didn't mind.

In the current climate I'd say it pays to keep the customer happy.

Comment

Working...
      X