• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I Found this to be a True Warming Story.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Found this to be a True Warming Story.

Iran was in shock on Sunday after the mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani, the first woman in history to win the Fields medal, maths’ Nobel prize, died of cancer aged 40.

Her death on Saturday in a hospital in California dominated front pages in Tehran, with a number of newspapers breaking with tradition and publishing photos of her without a head covering – a rare tribute that showed her prominence overrode rules requiring all Iranian women to be covered in public.
    Very sad for someone to die so young.

However, maybe more signs of Iran are becoming more tolerant?

Anyway, I found this rather warming and a bit of a statement to the rest of the Islamic Arab world..

The Sunday front page of Hamshahri, a state newspaper, particularly stood out, winning praise for portraying her “the way she was”.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...oo-in-tributes
    The Chunt of Chunts.

However, maybe more signs of Iran are becoming more tolerant?
    Hopefully it may happen. It's all called Islam but it's a very different religion to the Sunnah version that is going backwards almost everywhere in the world. Iran probably has great potential and does not have the almost tribal mentality that still prevails in much of the Arab world.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Good article here.

How Iran's hardline Islamic image is being slowly erased from within | Daily Mail Online

For those allergic to the Daily Mail a more boring thing in the economist:

https://www.economist.com/news/middl...ahs-and-donald
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Hopefully it may happen. It's all called Islam but it's a very different religion to the Sunnah version that is going backwards almost everywhere in the world. Iran probably has great potential and does not have the almost tribal mentality that still prevails in much of the Arab world.
        Because Iran is not Arab, nor was the country traditionally Muslim. The Muslim religion was forced upon them under the threat of of mass executions from the Arabs if the Persians did not convert. This still has its repercussions today.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ir...=1500297747260

Pre Revolution, although the Shah was a dictator.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Pre Revolution, although the Shah was a dictator
            Cor! That's recent history for you Gibbon. Thought you'd be posting photos from the first Persian Empire.

More seriously, it looked great then, much like hippie Britain.
            bloggoth

Comment

Persian Kitty. Mmmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Cor! That's recent history for you Gibbon. Thought you'd be posting photos from the first Persian Empire.

More seriously, it looked great then, much like hippie Britain.
                Some things are worth bringing up to date.

I've long held the belief that there is a strong correlation between world peace the length of women's skirts.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Iran becoming more tolerant and the UK less so. Must be in some sort of parallel universe.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Iran becoming more tolerant and the UK less so. Must be in some sort of parallel universe.
                    usual cobblers, people aren't less tolerant they just dislike Indyrefmoaners & bremoaner expats.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X