• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bye bye NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye bye NHS

This Friday I'm finally out of public sector contracting. I've spent 10 good years contracting with the NHS but these last few months since April have been terrible.

So I'm off! After two weeks in the sun and a week pottering round the house, I'll be starting a new contract as a remote programmer for a multinational.

For the first three weeks however I am required to work from their Dublin offices to get to know the team and the databases before flying solo. So three weeks in Dublin away from the missus. What will I do on the weekends?

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    So three weeks in Dublin away from the missus. What will I do on the weekends?
    https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...ss-oysters.jpg
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

This Friday I'm finally out of public sector contracting. I've spent 10 good years contracting with the NHS but these last few months since April have been terrible.
      Why? What changed apart from the tax regime? Just curious...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Are you still contracting and working remotely?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Why? What changed apart from the tax regime? Just curious...
          A few things. One is the £200 per week out of pocket business expenses I use to put through my company.

The trust I worked for wanted me to work through an umbrella who would only count site to site travel expenses which didn't apply to me. I tried to negotiate an increase to the day rate but the trust wouldn't budge.

I know one contractor whose folding his ltd because he is under the same restrictions but wants to continue with the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Are you still contracting and working remotely?
            The contract is for a remote worker.

Comment

I know one contractor whose folding his ltd because he is under the same restrictions but wants to continue with the NHS.
              Disguised employee in other words. Gives real contractors a bad name.
              I note in passing that it seems many public sector employees/contractors on here voted for Brexit under the deluded impression that the NHS is safe - the same people who deride Corbyn's money tree don't realise the NHS is funded in part by those rich bankers/other private sector professionals in London whose departure you think won't affect you
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I note in passing that it seems many public sector employees/contractors on here voted for Brexit under the deluded impression that the NHS is safe
                Passionate Europhile here and after 20 years with the NHS (10 years contracting) it's royally fooocked! Just wait until the US trade talks begin. They'll be all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Disguised employee in other words. Gives real contractors a bad name.
                  I note in passing that it seems many public sector employees/contractors on here voted for Brexit under the deluded impression that the NHS is safe - the same people who deride Corbyn's money tree don't realise the NHS is funded in part by those rich bankers/other private sector professionals in London whose departure you think won't affect you
                  The second bit is offtopic but I would much prefer the NHS to be ran as a private business with the NHS as a single payer determining rate cards - that way there will be competition with market forces but nothing much really changing. That would be far closer to the Canadian system....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Passionate Europhile here and after 20 years with the NHS (10 years contracting) it's royally fooocked! Just wait until the US trade talks begin. They'll be all over it.
                    High earning NHS contractor points out that cash strapped NHS is fooocked...

Classic.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X