• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Killer robot + AI apps for the near future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not referring to robots rampaging around killing people, but ideas for apps that will make the next generation of billionaires over the coming twenty or thirty years say.

I reckon one may be pest control, i.e. a robot that can recognise and snatch mozzies and tsetse flies out of the air, or spot and zap bed bugs wandering towards a bed at night, or an underwater ones to catch lice at salmon farms.

and if anyone mentions blasted Br**** too soon then rest assured, I will run your next thread off the rails in retaliation.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Robots running the country/apps to run the country.
    They will only make logical decisions based on fact, and the decisions will not be based on them being paid for the next few years/decades.
    Remove all the "personality" and sound bite aspects of currents pols and make them actually do work and deliver promises for the betterment of the country/world as a whole, and not just pandering to the few.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      They will only make logical decisions based on fact, and the decisions will not be based on them being paid for the next few years/decades.
      Remove all the "personality" and sound bite aspects of currents pols and make them actually do work and deliver promises for the betterment of the country/world as a whole, and not just pandering to the few.
      Sounds political, although you didn't quite mention the Br*** word.

Just did a quick web search for "uk robot forum" and all I could see, besides academic institutions, was references to "Robot Wars" and "Fighting Robots". Doesn't bode well for the future.

Isn't there anyone, hobbyists perhaps, trying to design and build a robot that could trot up and down a row of strawberry plants, for example, picking off pests with a miniature hoover? (I do realize the object recognition aspect is far easier said than done.)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Isn't there anyone, hobbyists perhaps, trying to design and build a robot that could trot up and down a row of strawberry plants, for example, picking off pests with a miniature hoover? (I do realize the object recognition aspect is far easier said than done.)
        The issue with low growing plants is that the space required to get a robot in reduces the growing space, also plants in general are non-uniform. Better to have systems that perform logical and repeatable functions, e.g. Manufacturing.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Not referring to robots rampaging around killing people, but ideas for apps that will make the next generation of billionaires over the coming twenty or thirty years say.

I reckon one may be pest control, i.e. a robot that can recognise and snatch mozzies and tsetse flies out of the air, or spot and zap bed bugs wandering towards a bed at night, or an underwater ones to catch lice at salmon farms.

and if anyone mentions blasted Br**** too soon then rest assured, I will run your next thread off the rails in retaliation.
          KUATB

Been done
          Last edited by vetran; 20 July 2017, 11:10.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The issue with low growing plants is that the space required to get a robot in reduces the growing space, also plants in general are non-uniform. Better to have systems that perform logical and repeatable functions, e.g. Manufacturing.
            They seem to have managed that here.

AI & CV is getting better daily. Accuracy hasn't been an issue for decades. You can buy pick & place SMD machines for <$1000.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I think we can bet people are researching in this area - it would be rather a breakthrough in several areas of robotics and AI since as you imply, it's a deceptively complicated task.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yeah the main problem is that all AI's come to the same conclusion - the only way to solve humanities problems is to get rid of humanity!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  KUATB

Been done
                  Treating the problem, not the cause.

Why do farmed salmon get lice (and it spreads so fast)?
                  1. Not a high enough flow of water through the cages
                  2. Too high a concentration of fish per cage
                  3. Additives in the food killing off the things that would normally get rid of the lice.
                  4. Additives in the food to increase growth at the detriment of health
                  Etc.

Comment

Is replacing drivers, pilots and doctors a given? What about carers? Cleaners?

Comment

Working...
                    X