• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do human beings have free will?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do human beings have free will?

Something on another thread got me thinking about this. What does the panel think and why...
    PS Chico feck off, don't want to hear your garbage.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Chico will post here anyway. Something along the lines of

"Yes of course humans have free will. But if they do something that God doesn't like, then he will smite them in hellfire and damnation, etc, blah blah blah".

That's how Chico defines Free Will
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

No. Free will would have mean that I could have no posted in this thread. However the guys above me made it so that i had to post to abuse Chico.

Down with churchy!

Comment

No-one has free will as there is only one dimension in space-time. There is no entropy and nothing is random.

Everything is governed by trillions of immutable formulas which lead to only one function that every entity however small can do.

If there was a powerful enough computer (impossible), every interaction could be calculated and the future determined, but it's impossible as the machine would need to be larger than the universe.

Free will is an illusion - part of the human conscious.

This is one of my unique theories.

Discuss.
        I was TheMonkey

Comment

If there was a powerful enough computer (impossible), every interaction could be calculated and the future determined, but it's impossible as the machine would need to be larger than the universe.
          Not true. The universe continually spawns new formulas which would constantly leave the big computer in need of a new program.

Comment

Originally posted by IanIan
            Not true. The universe continually spawns new formulas which would constantly leave the big computer in need of a new program.
            Explain. Truth isn't explained by theories - it is explained by proof.

If so, there are formulas that define how the formulas are created...
            I was TheMonkey

Comment

Originally posted by The Clown Beater
              Explain. Truth isn't explained by theories - it is explained by proof.
              You first. Where's your proof? And I didn't say that what I said was true. I just said that what you said was false.

Originally posted by The Clown Beater
              If so, there are formulas that define how the formulas are created...
              I'm sorry but I don't see how the conclusion follows from the premise here!
              Last edited by IanIan; 23 November 2006, 01:10.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                Something on another thread got me thinking about this. What does the panel think and why...
                Yes. I saw it on tv when I was younger ... part 1 and 2.
                Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                  God has given chico the free will to choose the right path.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                    God has given chico the free will to choose the right path.
                    So where did he go wrong?

Comment

Working...
                    X