• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting jobs you've had

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting jobs you've had

I'm not on about when you worked in a beach bar in Goa on your summer break from Uni in '94.

Anyone ever dropped out of the rat race for a bit, just to try something that perhaps pays a lot less (or no) money but is an order of magnitude lot more rewarding?

A parallel question would be stuff to do in retirement/Plan B I guess.

I've always toyed with the idea of working for a salvage/reclamation company or Heritage railway over a summer.
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Spent half of 2003, (when times were really lean & I had no warchest) landscaping & chefing in the local village pub.

That summer was one of the best I ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
      Heritage railway over a summer.
      Not really dropped out to replace it with something interesting but volunteering in between gigs can be interesting.

On the railway thing, I live close to one of the stops on the East Lancs railway so volunteered but it was just working on the station, maintenance, painting etc so wasn't quite as interesting as I thought. Only really benefit was to be able to get a behind the scenes look at the Flying Scotsman when it came in. Sounded like an interesting job but wasn't quite what I thought it would be TBH.

Do a bit for a local bird sanctuary whilst on the bench as well. That's pretty interesting and rewarding.

I did a mechanical apprenticeship and worked on massive lathes in my yoof. For some reason I'd love the idea of getting back on them for a stint but not sure I'd want to do it as a job again.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I did a mechanical apprenticeship and worked on massive lathes in my yoof. For some reason I'd love the idea of getting back on them for a stint but not sure I'd want to do it as a job again.
        There can't be many massive lathes (or other big fixed industrial machines) left in this country? I've browsed the "Industrial" section on sites like 28dayslater.co.uk and it can make depressing viewing at times.

The Ribble railway has a good workshop, they had to move site to make way for a Supermarket so got a big wad of cash to "facilitate" the process.
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Did a job as a speech therapist for Dolphins once teaching them how to click properly. Very rewarding that.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I once got a job assisting a gynecologist; it gave the chance to look up some old friends.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I do standup comedy as a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                I do standup comedy as a hobby.
                I don't get it

Comment

Casual labour at a glaziers. Smashing time, both literally and metaphorically.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                    There can't be many massive lathes (or other big fixed industrial machines) left in this country? I've browsed the "Industrial" section on sites like 28dayslater.co.uk and it can make depressing viewing at times.

The Ribble railway has a good workshop, they had to move site to make way for a Supermarket so got a big wad of cash to "facilitate" the process.
                    Absolutely this. I got made redundant as most heavy engineering people did in that era. Cast Iron foundry with heavy engineering workshop. Classic dinosaur that was never going to make it. Difficult to find manual lathes but I know of a few small precision engineering places in the area that use standard Harrison ones and the like that look quite good fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X