• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a house - joint mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

My partner and I are planning to buy a property together.

The thing is she is a first time buyer while I already own a property.

So, how does it work with stamp duty? As a first timer she'd be paying almost nothing, while I'd be paying the higher %...but how does it work when it's a joint purchase?

Also, mortgage...she has a help to buy ISA. Will she still get money from the government even in this case? (buying together and me not being a first timer)

Hope you can help or redirect me to the right place (not THAT place)

Thanks

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
    Hello

So, how does it work with stamp duty? As a first timer she'd be paying almost nothing, while I'd be paying the higher %...but how does it work when it's a joint purchase?

Also, mortgage...she has a help to buy ISA. Will she still get money from the government even in this case? (buying together and me not being a first timer)

Hope you can help or redirect me to the right place (not THAT place)

Thanks
    You have to pay the whole stamp duty as a second home. You can't split the benefits that way.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Hello

Are you selling your property, or keeping it as well?

If it is going to be your only home, the stamp duty is the same, no matter whether you are a first time buyer or not. That loophole disappeared some time ago.

Legally she is not buying the property on her own, so the purchase of the property is not being done solely by a first time buyer. Legally she is not entitled to the government assistance for this purchase.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Is your partner a gladiator?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Is your partner a gladiator?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You''ll have to pay the full stamp duty, as well as an additional 3% on top of that because you're buying another house that isn't replacing a residence.. i.e. you're not selling your current house. Before April last year total stamp duty on a £300k house would have been £5k. Now you'd be paying £14k... If you sell your othjer house within 3 years you can get £9k of that back.

Go here and check: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/calcu...-duty-land-tax

Comment

Bad idea - be prepared to be fleeced and watch out for the crash/interest rate hike coming your way soon...
              one day at a time

Comment

Thank you all for the replies and relevant links.

So yeah, keeping my first house doesn't sound like the greatest of moves

Comment

Not if you're going bigger no. You'll need to sell it, buy the nice big expensive house with the proceeds, and then buy another cheaper house and pay the reduced extra stamp duty on that. The refund option may still be sound, considering the cost of buying and selling though. Got any relatives to sell the old house to on the cheap?

Comment

Equity release from you first property with re-mortgage and use to funds for 2nd purchase. Keeps deeds in partners name.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X