• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flagstone Flooring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flagstone Flooring

I know there's a few old country cottagers on here so I thought I'd canvass your opinion on exposing period features.

Just cut out a section of floor panel to install a hearth in front of my fireplace - what I found was that chipboard floor panels have been laid on batons with polystyrene insulation over an original flagstone floor resulting in a thickness of approx 70mm.

This is an old thatched cottage & the headroom is severely restricted especially in the living room - getting this 70mm back would make all the difference. Restoring a period feature also is appealing.

Anyone done anything like this before? I guess there are pitfalls like cold & damp & the main one playing on my mind is ripping up the existing floor to find that the flagstones don't extend as far as I thought or are in a really bad state of repair meaning I have to relay another floor.

Unfortunately, there's only one way to find out.....
    Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 1 August 2017, 13:47.

Our house is 1920's so not an old cottage but my view is people are only too quick to cover the period features up and the end result generally looks a lot worse. e.g. our house has four fireplaces, only one was in use, I opened up two more and it looks better and gets better airflow.

You might find the chipboard(!) is covering up some issues that have been hidden away, probably just an uneven floor but maybe damp (ironically made worse by the addition of wooden flooring and double glazing.
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

If you decide to go for it bear in mind that you might have to change the doors and patch the walls (if a drywall was slapped only extending to the new flooring) as there will be a gap at the bottom and also there will be a step/tripping hazard on each doorway, unless you lower all rooms accordingly.

Comment

what he says, but be careful you haven't just uncovered the original hearth.
        you might be best taking up some unobtrusive bits at the opposite corners to get an idea of the extent of flagstone floor.

Comment

Yes, find a corner out of the way and lift it to check there as well.
          Be prepared for your simple little project to get expensive quickly.

And if the bottom of the walls isn't plastered down to the original floor level, just put in oak skirting
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You could also try lifting one of the flagstones to see if there's a older layer of Saxon flagstones under that.

OH in Time Team "Look what Oi've foind doiwn 'ere Tony!" mode.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              You could also try lifting one of the flagstones to see if there's a older layer of Saxon flagstones human remains under that.
              FTFY
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                Our house is 1920's so not an old cottage but my view is people are only too quick to cover the period features up and the end result generally looks a lot worse. e.g. our house has four fireplaces, only one was in use, I opened up two more and it looks better and gets better airflow.

You might find the chipboard(!) is covering up some issues that have been hidden away, probably just an uneven floor but maybe damp (ironically made worse by the addition of wooden flooring and double glazing.
                Yes - the wooden batons were completely rotten.

Originally posted by sal View Post
                If you decide to go for it bear in mind that you might have to change the doors and patch the walls (if a drywall was slapped only extending to the new flooring) as there will be a gap at the bottom and also there will be a step/tripping hazard on each doorway, unless you lower all rooms accordingly.
                I was thinking of getting a nice bit of hardwood with a chamfer on it to butt up to the raised areas.

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                what he says, but be careful you haven't just uncovered the original hearth.
                you might be best taking up some unobtrusive bits at the opposite corners to get an idea of the extent of flagstone floor.
                You see, I knew it wasn't a waste of time posing on here. Shame I've just returned the multitool to Brandons...

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                  I know there's a few old country cottagers on here
                  You're not wrong.

Comment

As a fan of horror, I am concerned you might release all the evil spirits that have been buried there.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X