• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract: Notice Period 3 Months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract: Notice Period 3 Months

I have been offered a contract with a 3 month notice period either way on an initial 6 month contract. Have not signed the contract yet; IR35 review stage. Even when I was a permie my maximum notice period was 1 month. I'd be more comfortable with 2, maximum 3, weeks. Any thoughts on pros/cons of such a long notice period?

Do you believe that if they give you 3 months notice then they will give you work for 3 months? If so, it will give you some security.

Suppose you hate it though? Can you wait 3 months to get out?

Comment

Originally posted by Milestone View Post
      I have been offered a contract with a 3 month notice period either way on an initial 6 month contract. Have not signed the contract yet; IR35 review stage. Even when I was a permie my maximum notice period was 1 month. I'd be more comfortable with 2, maximum 3, weeks. Any thoughts on pros/cons of such a long notice period?
      You can always find a way to get out of it if you really want to.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Do you believe that if they give you 3 months notice then they will give you work for 3 months? If so, it will give you some security.

That's the problem, not started the gig, don't know what people/environment are like, have good idea of scale/scope of project (I am a PM), and the project I am taking on is probably 2 years e-2-e. Just debating whether to insist on shorter notice period as 3 months is a long time.

Comment

That's the problem, not started the gig, don't know what people/environment are like, have good idea of scale/scope of project (I am a PM), and the project I am taking on is probably 2 years e-2-e. Just debating whether to insist on shorter notice period as 3 months is a long time.
          Do you have a substitution clause?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Do you have a substitution clause?
              Yes, but I am getting the wording checked as it is substitution on their approval, which to me indicates not true substitution and an element of control.

Comment

Yes, but I am getting the wording checked as it is substitution on their approval, which to me indicates not true substitution and an element of control.
                Within reason.

A client could reasonably expect some proof your substitution is of a similar quality to you if they are still expected to pay the dollar.

Comment

Sure. But if you really want to leave you can demand to send a substitute and generally be such a nuisance they let you go. Not ideal but nobody wants someone who does not want to be there. I wouldn't worry about it unless there as other alarm bells.

Comment

Am sure that 3 months is frowned upon from an IR35 perspective. Just too long.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X