• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking on a trainee?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking on a trainee?

Hi all,

I've been lurking for the past 12 months on here and must say that I've gathered many useful tips, especially on the limited company side of things. I've never felt the need to post though until now!

I've been considering taking on a trainee. The idea would be to train said person in my area of technical 'expertise' probably by sending him or her on official training courses - I'd consider doing it myself but I really should be out earning - and then taking that person along as a freebie to customer sites until they have sufficient experience to be chargeable.

Someone must have done this in the past - anyone willing to share some tips and experiences?

In particular, I'm sure there must be NI (and other) obligations for the company, as well as insurance. I'm checking it up myself but any ready knowledge is most welcome. Also, is it possible to cover minimum contract length etc, i.e. to cover initial investment in training at least?

One concern I don't have is the commitment of the person in question - I will be recruiting from people I know already and in whom I have confidence.

Any info gratefully received. I will also come back with anything I find out if anyone is interested.

Regards

Z

Originally posted by Zorba
    Hi all,

I've been lurking for the past 12 months on here and must say that I've gathered many useful tips, especially on the limited company side of things. I've never felt the need to post though until now!

I've been considering taking on a trainee. The idea would be to train said person in my area of technical 'expertise' probably by sending him or her on official training courses - I'd consider doing it myself but I really should be out earning - and then taking that person along as a freebie to customer sites until they have sufficient experience to be chargeable.

Someone must have done this in the past - anyone willing to share some tips and experiences?

In particular, I'm sure there must be NI (and other) obligations for the company, as well as insurance. I'm checking it up myself but any ready knowledge is most welcome. Also, is it possible to cover minimum contract length etc, i.e. to cover initial investment in training at least?

One concern I don't have is the commitment of the person in question - I will be recruiting from people I know already and in whom I have confidence.

Any info gratefully received. I will also come back with anything I find out if anyone is interested.

Regards

Z
    NI and Tax can be handeled the same was as your tax is through your accountant (if you have one).

I personally would start by giving them a 3 month contract. If at the end you are happy give them a permie one.

You can right into a contract that if they leave after x years the costs of training are not to be replayed. If they leave at x-1 its 50% x-2 75% etc.

I'd send them on "offical" training courses but make sure they have a good grasp first. I find offical training courses are far too long really and in house is often better.

Comment

Cheers for the reply Sockpuppet.

Regarding tax and NI, I've sent the same question to my accountant and am awaiting a reply but thanks for the info.

The idea of a 3 month contract is a good one - it gives them a chance to change their mind too without causing my business too much grief, and I'll use something about the repayment of training along your suggested lines.

I agree on the official courses - I've always found them better for consolidating knowledge rather than gaining it from scratch. Probably the first couple of months will be in house (exercises etc) followed up with official courses and exams.

I didn't mention this before, but the intention would be to change the relationship from trainee to partner of some kind once the person is bringing in a decent income for the company, and to share profits proportionally. Also, it may allow for substitution on contracts later on if the person's skills are sufficiently close.

Cheers!

Z

Comment

Working...
      X