PDA

View Full Version : New Car

SandyD
4th August 2017, 20:36
I need a new car... I am almost sure this was discussed a bazillion time, I remember recently when AtW crashed his car?? But tried to search for 'Car' nothing came up !!

Any how recommendations are welcome, need something with a lot of space (boot space etc) economical on the petrol and of course reliable, my budget is is only 10 to 15K so second hand :emb .
Who here has bought the car through their company (please I know all the rules re exclusive business rules etc ) and who took a loan/Divs from their company to finance it personally?

northernladuk
4th August 2017, 21:10
You've been here long enough to know you need to use the search method as described in the Welcome/FAQ sticky. You've been here long enough to also know not to post serious questions in General.

Poor effort.

EDIT : And to answer you question. 2.0D Mondeo. Lots of boot space, uses no petrol and will keep running and running... until it breaks down. For 10-15k you should be able to buy it with lose change in your pocket.

HTH

vetran
4th August 2017, 21:25
Agree not the most exciting but it is a safe choice. My mighty Mondeo is 13 years old > 100K miles and I have spent about £700 a year on it including depreciation.

greenlake
4th August 2017, 21:41
Any how recommendations are welcome, need something with a lot of space (boot space etc) economical on the petrol and of course reliable, my budget is is only 10 to 15K so second hand :emb .

Are you looking for a whole car? If not, this one seems to meet your requirements....

http://i.imgur.com/4QwiRUj.jpg

tarbera
4th August 2017, 21:59
What a boring thread

Buy a new shit car for £15K and bore yourself to death

Or buy a 3-5 year old V8 and start living

The choice is yours, please post elsewhere in future

original PM
5th August 2017, 07:14
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703163354663?radius=1501&model=PULSAR&make=NISSAN&transmission=Manual&fuel-type=Petrol&maximum-mileage=15000&sort=sponsored&price-to=18000&advertising-location=at_cars&maximum-badge-engine-size=2.0&year-from=2015&postcode=wa42qs&minimum-badge-engine-size=1.6&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-from=10000&page=1

Trust me

BrilloPad
5th August 2017, 08:11
Pick one with a radiator that is easy to bleed. Or: -

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/16/article-1213762-067242D8000005DC-77_634x461.jpg

SandyD
5th August 2017, 08:42
You've been here long enough to know you need to use the search method as described in the Welcome/FAQ sticky. You've been here long enough to also know not to post serious questions in General.

Poor effort.

EDIT : And to answer you question. 2.0D Mondeo. Lots of boot space, uses no petrol and will keep running and running... until it breaks down. For 10-15k you should be able to buy it with lose change in your pocket.

HTH

Hmmm thought to search you just put the text in the search box !!
didn't want to put it under accounting as I will get the usual accounting related answers (company car = exclusive use for business , benefit in kind ... Director's loan to buy a car etc)

will try to look to search functions in FAQs... where is FAQs lol?? as you you know I was on the here before this new forum was born !!

Hobosapien
5th August 2017, 09:37
...buy a 3-5 year old V8 and start living

Thinking of doing that myself, though not that new due to the typically fast depreciation.

They'll appreciate soon enough when they stop making them (many already have), and the price of petrol drops to pennies per gallon due to oversupply when everyone's gone leccy. :smokin

Jag XFR or 'Vauxhall' VXR8 seem to be good choices away from the typical BMW/Audi offerings. Though the VXR8 is already appreciating due to low numbers sold in the UK, missed the boat a bit on that one as I was tempted a few years ago when they were not much more than 10k, now closer to 20k. :throw:

BlasterBates
5th August 2017, 09:38
Of the two GM and Ford I prefer GM, I have an 18 year old Vectra and very happy with it, try the Vauxhall Insignia, looks very stylish.

SueEllen
5th August 2017, 10:00
Of the two GM and Ford I prefer GM, I have an 18 year old Vectra and very happy with it, try the Vauxhall Insignia, looks very stylish.

In your old man opinion.

OP if you want to look like an old fart get a Vectra or Insignia. Oh and Vauxhall's drive like shit.

DaveB
5th August 2017, 10:07
Another vote for the Mondeo. Go for the 2.0d Titanium X and you'll get all the toys and still have change.

Loads of space, comfortable, reliable, run forever and cost bugger all to maintain.

BlasterBates
5th August 2017, 10:07
In your old man opinion.

OP if you want to look like an old fart get a Vectra or Insignia. Oh and Vauxhall's drive like tulip.

I always find middle aged drivers in trendy cars look rather ridiculous. They're just publicising their mid-life crisis.

:D

SueEllen
5th August 2017, 10:16
I always find middle aged drivers in trendy cars look rather ridiculous. They're just publicising their mid-life crisis.

You are presuming SandyD looks old.

BlasterBates
5th August 2017, 10:22
You are presuming SandyD looks old.

More importantly, what about yourself ?

Can you carry it off ?

be honest

Mordac
5th August 2017, 11:20

So much explained in one short sentence...

barrydidit
5th August 2017, 11:27
AtW's insurance will be >£15k now.

Mordac
5th August 2017, 11:37
And to answer the OP's question, I'm not sure I'd be buying a diesel right now. If councils start banning them (or imposing ridiculous charges) in towns and cities then values will plummet. You may get a good deal on one now, but it won't be worth much if you only want to keep it for a few years and then sell it on. Sales of new diesels are already down 25% on last year, which should be ringing alarm bells.

BlasterBates
5th August 2017, 11:45
So much explained in one short sentence...

...and the Mondeo is cool :laugh

The Isignia is clearly better than a Mondeo, and any German will tell you that, because they don't drive Mondeos for good reason.

Ford Mondeo vs Vauxhall Insignia | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mondeo/84753/ford-mondeo-vs-vauxhall-insignia)

...but then again this is a country that voted Brexit

SandyD
5th August 2017, 12:06
I need SUV, not saloons, hybrid, zero road tax, low emission, automatic ... SUV mainly cuz I need to transfer stuff / removal type back forth quite often.
I have jag xtype now, cost a lot in petrol, high road tax, no space for moving furniture etc!!!but I really love it.

BrilloPad
5th August 2017, 12:16
Get a foreign car. After Brexit you won't be able to.

vetran
5th August 2017, 12:33
Get a foreign car. After Brexit you won't be able to.

nice little Alfa Romeo then you have an excuse to pop over to Italy to find a new bit to replace what fell off this week.

Mordac
5th August 2017, 12:35
...and the Mondeo is cool :laugh

The Isignia is clearly better than a Mondeo, and any German will tell you that, because they don't drive Mondeos for good reason.

Ford Mondeo vs Vauxhall Insignia | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mondeo/84753/ford-mondeo-vs-vauxhall-insignia)

...but then again this is a country that voted Brexit

I was not suggesting the Mondeo is cool, merely that the Vectra and Insignia most definitely aren't. Not even close to almost. Next up, incontinence pants and a Honda for you, I'm afraid, old chap...:oldgit:

vetran
5th August 2017, 13:28
I was not suggesting the Mondeo is cool, merely that the Vectra and Insignia most definitely aren't. Not even close to almost. Next up, incontinence pants and a Honda for you, I'm afraid, old chap...:oldgit:

its Blaster he talks so much tulip there isn't enough left to fill pants.

quackhandle
5th August 2017, 14:31
Whatever you get, make sure you add tracker/immobilser/steering wheel lock/OBD port blocker and get the anti snap bolts for your external doors.

:ohwell

qh

Dark Black
5th August 2017, 15:18
I need SUV, not saloons, hybrid, zero road tax, low emission, automatic ... SUV mainly cuz I need to transfer stuff / removal type back forth quite often.
I have jag xtype now, cost a lot in petrol, high road tax, no space for moving furniture etc!!!but I really love it.

Do you need to go off road much?

No? Then you don't need an SUV, you just need a decent estate...

SueEllen
5th August 2017, 15:22

No? Then you don't need an SUV you just need a decent estate...

Then she will look like everyone's parents.

SueEllen
5th August 2017, 15:23
More importantly, what about yourself ?

Can you carry it off ?

be honest

Actually I look younger than my age. It's actually fecking annoying.

However I currently prefer 2 wheels to 4 to get around for my short trips.

greenlake
5th August 2017, 15:26
SUV mainly cuz I need to transfer stuff / removal type back forth quite often.

No? Then you don't need an SUV you just need a decent estate...

http://i.imgur.com/w8F4f1P.jpg

RetSet
5th August 2017, 15:30
Nissan Pulsar 1.6 DiG-T N-Tec 5dr (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703163354663?radius=1501&model=PULSAR&make=NISSAN&transmission=Manual&fuel-type=Petrol&maximum-mileage=15000&sort=sponsored&price-to=18000&advertising-location=at_cars&maximum-badge-engine-size=2.0&year-from=2015&postcode=wa42qs&minimum-badge-engine-size=1.6&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-from=10000&page=1)

Trust me

That's impressively nippy for a 1.6! :yay:

SandyD
5th August 2017, 17:11

No? Then you don't need an SUV, you just need a decent estate...

Actually I used to have one of those huge volvo estates about 10 years ago, my kids were young and it was a really great car. I hardly ever see estate cars on the road now, thought they disappeared, but went to car giant today to have a look and the had some, mostly huge mileages on them though !! but relatively cheaper than SUV even the BMWs and Mercs

SandyD
5th August 2017, 17:12
Then she will look like everyone's parents.

Honestly, I don't really care what I look like in my car, as long as the car is economical, spacial, reliable and easy to repair/maintain.

SueEllen
5th August 2017, 18:08
Honestly, I don't really care what I look like in my car, as long as the car is economical, spacial, reliable and easy to repair/maintain.

Pick three.

original PM
5th August 2017, 19:23
That's impressively nippy for a 1.6! :yay:

Indeed qcar

Was driving it today

Pulls well in third

😁

Hobosapien
6th August 2017, 10:57

They do a Jag Xtype estate. Sounds what you need, not one of those poncy SUVs that are less practical and more for the image afflicted, i.e vain.