• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Farepak Response Fund

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farepak Response Fund

Farepak Response Fund

Are we all going to donate a day's pay to this?
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Chavs in need?

They can bloody stay in need!

Comment

why didn't they just put their money in a bank or even the post office?
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I have indeed handed a day's lucre to this scheme.
        Notice that it's not gone up much from £4m two weeks ago.

The thing that puzzles me about all this malarkey is that Farepak have blamed HBOS for withdrawing a lending facility, and the press and Parliament have left it at that. But Farepak's business model is to take money off people throughout the year and then give it them back at Christmas. Why does it need a lending facility?

Chavs they may be, but these people have tried to manage their money by saving instead of giving in to the credit card companies - or else they're so short of cash that the banks wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. We contractors should have some respect for that.

Comment

Because Farepak was part of a bigger group that gambled the contributions throughout the year and aimed to make more money for themselves in the process. What happened is that these gambles went sour and they lost the stakes. All possible because it's a completely unregulated business.

Apparently the Chairman was paid via a one man service company which meant he could get away with paying himself minimum wage and then receiving dividends taxed at the lower Corporate rate. What a scumbag eh?
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W
            Because Farepak was part of a bigger group that gambled the contributions throughout the year and aimed to make more money for themselves in the process. What happened is that these gambles went sour and they lost the stakes. All possible because it's a completely unregulated business.

Apparently the Chairman was paid via a one man service company which meant he could get away with paying himself minimum wage and then receiving dividends taxed at the lower Corporate rate. What a scumbag eh?
            There should be a law against that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W

Comment

I'm with Thunderlizard on this. Taking advantage of the tax system doesn't make you a thief - taking people's money and not returning it does. Farepak were encouraging people to keep paying in their money after they put their hands up to the banks. Farepak are blaming HBOS but the police should look at little closer to home. This is what the Serious Fraud Office was set up to tackle ffs...

Someone should be brought to book for this fiasco - can't see it happening though
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
                  I'm with Thunderlizard on this. Taking advantage of the tax system doesn't make you a thief
                  According to Gordo it does - when was this whole idea of "tax motivated incorporation" introduced?

We had never heard this expression before 1997 and when Gordo introduced the 0% corporation tax on the first £10,000 of profits encouraging large numbers of self employed people to go LTD for the first time. According to their views you are a criminal if you seek to minimise your tax bills - even if you are doing it legally. I could rant about this for a long time but I can't really be bothered... and I would be preaching to the converted.

Comment

How's this for a plan B: setup a company; get people to give you money on the promise you'll give it back later; create some agreement that means you are the major creditor; squandor all the company funds and then go bust. Then setup a charity and encourage Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and the public at large to contribute to pay back the creditors.

Has to be something in that.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X