• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing down ltd/starting up again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing down ltd/starting up again

Haven't traded through ltd since start of company year (1st June). Looks like I'm going to be staying umbrella for the foreseeable future at least.

What are the costs associated with closing down the limited and then re-opening in the future if needs be? Also, assume Id still have to do a year end in May 2018 (or is this all done and dusted in company close down?)

Been paying accountant half fees since April, guessing there is work involved in closing down ltd so they're probably not going to process this based on pretty much 3 months 1/2 payments.

Other option is to leave company dormant, but means Im paying half accountant fees for this time. Bit of a waste.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Why don't you ask your accountant seems they will know exactly what is involved and will know you exact circumstances. They also offer company formation services so will be able to tell you how much to start one up.

When will you attempt to handle one aspect of your company by yourself? Just one, even a small one! I mean, you say you have an accountant engaged and then ask a question that your accountant can answer. Jesus.

Lazy post PC, even by your standards.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Bore Da NLUK - how are you this fine August morning?

Im off on hols for two weeks after this week - I'll try and keep posting in case you miss me!
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Haven't traded through ltd since start of company year (1st June). Looks like I'm going to be staying umbrella for the foreseeable future at least.

What are the costs associated with closing down the limited and then re-opening in the future if needs be? Also, assume Id still have to do a year end in May 2018 (or is this all done and dusted in company close down?)

Been paying accountant half fees since April, guessing there is work involved in closing down ltd so they're probably not going to process this based on pretty much 3 months 1/2 payments.

Other option is to leave company dormant, but means Im paying half accountant fees for this time. Bit of a waste.
        It's only been since June you've not traded which is no time at all and given how contracts can change at a moments notice I wouldn't be considering this at all at this stage. Talk with your accountant about the costs for producing a set of dormant accounts for 2017/2018 if you don't trade at all by next June. FWIW I kept my first ltd dormant between 2002 and 2014, you know just in case like cost me £90 a year accountant fees.

You don't need an accountant to start up a ltd, I did mine in Feb 2015 for the princely sum of £15 on Companies House website and took no time at all, like a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Why don't you ask your accountant seems they will know exactly what is involved and will know you exact circumstances. They also offer company formation services so will be able to tell you how much to start one up.

When will you attempt to handle one aspect of your company by yourself? Just one, even a small one! I mean, you say you have an accountant engaged and then ask a question that your accountant can answer. Jesus.

Lazy post PC, even by your standards.
          Is it a full church wedding, or just the reception office for you two?

Comment

Closing down is fairly easy, but you need to think about how you want to deal with any retained profits left in the business. If its a significant amount you'd really need to look at an MVL and capital distribution (with ER if eligible) to save tax but bear in mind the implications of the two year returning to the same trade rule.

If you don't have much then simpler to just distribute what's left as a dividend, you'll have no restrictions on starting up a new co. when you need one.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
              Talk with your accountant....... .
              If he'd done this in the first place this thread wouldn't be required.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I agree that keeping your company going is a pointless expense. When I wanted a new company to accept a contract, I called the accountant at 9.00am and by 3.30pm I had the company registration certificate and was ready to start invoicing. No charge from the accountant.

I have closed two Ltd companies down recently. One accountant took over a year to manage this very simple process. The other accountant took three days. Neither charged me anything extra aside from the normal monthly fee. You need to check the terms of engagement from when you signed up for the service you are using. Closing down a Ltd Co is a very easy thing to do and has advantages in closing off certain future tax issues that may otherwise bite you in the future.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

You need to bear in mind that any cash currently held in the Ltd accounts would be less easy to conceal from the Job Centre, once it's in personal accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    Is it a full church wedding, or just the reception office for you two?
                    This is like their fifth (or fiftieth) time, they'll probably just skip the ceremony this time (and the legal fees they always have to pay when they break it off) and just pick a place from this list to go for hols together.

Comment

Working...
                    X