• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lexus or Jaguar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lexus or Jaguar

I currently have a Jaguar XJ 350

I was given the next model, an XJ X351 I think, as a courtesy car while mine was being serviced, and I thought it seemed slightly plasticky and less substantial than mine.

So maybe once my current car conks out I'll change tack and buy a second hand Lexus. Anyone own a Lexus? What model would you recommend for under say £20K and equivalent to a 3 litre Jag?

I'm not interested in pushing the boat out and spending much more, as a car for me is nothing more than a contraption for getting reliably from A to B.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Aren't Lexus a bit plasticky too?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I found the new Jags a bit flimsy too.
      Why not swallow your Anti_German prejudice and get a Merc E-class. Built for comfort - and like a tank.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I found the new Jags a bit flimsy too.
        Why not swallow your Anti_German prejudice and get a Merc E-class. Built for comfort - and like a tank.
        Sadly the E series has become ubiquitous & even the pikeys down the lane have one (think they are now into taxi driving), so I'm disposing of my E Class coupé and looking for something as a replacement - nothing wrong with them - great motorway cruisers -just returned from a 1700 mile road trip to Spain & the 50mpg @ 80+ mph on the motorways was impressive, but would like something not so common

I test drove an XF recently and was pleasantly surprised but the real question is petrol or diesel as it looks likely diesel is going to be hammered

Might go and have a look at a Maserati Ghibli
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I'm not interested in pushing the boat out and spending much more, as a car for me is nothing more than a contraption for getting reliably from A to B.
          So why picking from two (arguably) luxury makes? Get a Vectra or a Mondeo for happy cheap miles.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How about a phaeton?
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Sadly the E series has become ubiquitous & even the pikeys down the lane have one (think they are now into taxi driving), so I'm disposing of my E Class coupé and looking for something as a replacement - nothing wrong with them - great motorway cruisers -just returned from a 1700 mile road trip to Spain & the 50mpg @ 80+ mph on the motorways was impressive, but would like something not so common

I test drove an XF recently and was pleasantly surprised but the real question is petrol or diesel as it looks likely diesel is going to be hammered

Might go and have a look at a Maserati Ghibli
              Sorry to break it to you, but if you don't send your kids to private school or drive a classic car in tip-top condition, you're a pikey too.
              Travellers drive Maseratis and Cayennes nowadays - not joking, saw the latter in a pikey caravan park yesterday when I was driving in London.
              So when it comes to cars just buy what's good for you practically day-to-day (and keep a classic car in the garage for the weekend - I'm in the process of getting an old mint Alfa)
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Travellers drive Maseratis and Cayennes nowadays - not joking, saw the latter in a pikey caravan park yesterday when I was driving in London. ...
                That's nothing. I saw an older pikey driving a white Roller the other day, straight from the travelers' settlement down the road from my lodgings in Cambridge.

Once or twice a week, when the wind is in the right direction, I can hear barking and whining of lots of dogs and cheering coming from that vicinity, and I don't think it's the local hunt kennels. So I guess there's lots of money to be made in dog fighting. ...
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Sorry to break it to you, but if you don't send your kids to private school or drive a classic car in tip-top condition, you're a pikey too.
                  Travellers drive Maseratis and Cayennes nowadays - not joking, saw the latter in a pikey caravan park yesterday when I was driving in London.
                  So when it comes to cars just buy what's good for you practically day-to-day (and keep a classic car in the garage for the weekend - I'm in the process of getting an old mint Alfa)
                  I put 3 sprogs through Private schooling ... then Uni fees - fooking could have been retired by now!
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

A good friend recently purchased an Audi A8 W12 which I thought a very interesting choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X