• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saturday Morning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday Morning

Morning All,

flew out of Gatwick with my daughters on Saturday morning.

In the queue for security I noticed they have those new full body scanner machines which in some circles have health doubts.

I told my daughters, we're going to take off everything we can, ear-rings, necklaces, shoes, zip up tops etc so that we minimize the chance of having to go through the new full body scanner.

Next to us in the queue was an older couple from somewhere in the saaaf east, the wife heard me telling my daughters to get everything off and said, you don't need to worry the scanners don't pick up earrings, she was covered in jewelery, she had more 9ct rings and bangles and bracelets and necklasses than Ratners.

I said, I am worried about that new scanner over there, and told her if you fail the old rectangular scanner then you have to go through the new full body one and there are health concerns with those machines. she said you won't fail the first one.

Anyway we go to where you put all your stuff in the boxes and I told my girls get everything off shoes the lot, the security man saw us getting our shoes off and said, you don't need to take your shoes off, I said to the girls don't listen to him and put your shoes in the box (obviously security want everybody to go through those full body scanners so for them the more chance we have of failing the first one the better).

So we got all of our stuff off that we could in reason (obviously we still had our jeans and tshirts on) and then went through the first rectangular scanner

And we were successful, no alarms and we were free to go and get all of our stuff from the boxes

Walking towards the boxes to collect our stuff we walked past the queue for the full body scanner and low and behold there were the couple from the saaaf east looking glum, I wished them luck and we carried on our way

If ever they make those machines compulsory, I'll stop flying and drive everywhere.

So a lesson for us all.

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Morning All,

flew out of Gatwick with my daughters on Saturday morning.

In the queue for security I noticed they have those new full body scanner machines which in some circles have health doubts.

I told my daughters, we're going to take off everything we can, ear-rings, necklaces, shoes, zip up tops etc so that we minimize the chance of having to go through the new full body scanner.

Next to us in the queue was an older couple from somewhere in the saaaf east, the wife heard me telling my daughters to get everything off and said, you don't need to worry the scanners don't pick up earrings, she was covered in jewelery, she had more 9ct rings and bangles and bracelets and necklasses than Ratners.

I said, I am worried about that new scanner over there, and told her if you fail the old rectangular scanner then you have to go through the new full body one and there are health concerns with those machines. she said you won't fail the first one.

Anyway we go to where you put all your stuff in the boxes and I told my girls get everything off shoes the lot, the security man saw us getting our shoes off and said, you don't need to take your shoes off, I said to the girls don't listen to him and put your shoes in the box (obviously security want everybody to go through those full body scanners so for them the more chance we have of failing the first one the better).

So we got all of our stuff off that we could in reason (obviously we still had our jeans and tshirts on) and then went through the first rectangular scanner

And we were successful, no alarms and we were free to go and get all of our stuff from the boxes

Walking towards the boxes to collect our stuff we walked past the queue for the full body scanner and low and behold there were the couple from the saaaf east looking glum, I wished them luck and we carried on our way

If ever they make those machines compulsory, I'll stop flying and drive everywhere.

So a lesson for us all.

Milan.
    You do realise those initial scanners are set to give around 1 in 20 false positives anyway...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

They are compulsory in a lot of airports already Bensey. Cardiff has them and they still do the nice shoes them boots and whose coat is this jacket. It's a right PITA. Fortunately as no one flies from there, the queues aren't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        You do realise those initial scanners are set to give around 1 in 20 false positives anyway...

all the more reason to buy the SQ7 then because in the future we'll driving instead of flying

thanks for the info

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          They are compulsory in a lot of airports already Bensey. Cardiff has them and they still do the nice shoes them boots and whose coat is this jacket. It's a right PITA. Fortunately as no one flies from there, the queues aren't too bad.
          sheeeet you _have_ to go through them in the 'diff, no choice, no exception ?

Well we won't be flying gtom keerdiff any time soon then.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
            sheeeet you _have_ to go through them in the 'diff, no choice, no exception ?

Well we won't be flying gtom keerdiff any time soon then.

Milan.
            No exception. Plus, boots off, jacket off.

Comment

I don't think I have ever seen such paranoia in a single post.

Unbelievable Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                I don't think I have ever seen such paranoia in a single post.

Unbelievable Jeff
                each to their own eh

enjoy the full body scan and hope it has a happy ending

Milan

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  They also target particular people to be searched both inbound and outbound. I use to know a Sikh guy - yes with a typical Sikh name - who was searched every single time he went out through a British airport.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    They also target particular people to be searched both inbound and outbound. I use to know a Sikh guy - yes with a typical Sikh name - who was searched every single time he went out through a British airport.
                    Hi Sue,

is he one of your High Net Worth friends ?

ttfn

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X