• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tried doing my bit for Broken Brexit Britain today and failed...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried doing my bit for Broken Brexit Britain today and failed...

The cleaner who looks after my Edinburgh pad is returning to Austria.. we'll miss her but understand she has to do what she has to do. So reliable and never a compliant from guests on cleanliness.

So we set about finding a replacement. 80-90Sqm apartment, interviewed a local cleaner in town. We explained it can take up to three hours with 3-6 turn arounds every month. £100 was offered and was turned down, she said it was not enough - That's £33p/h for cleaning turned down.

If this is a sign of things to come Brexit Britain is totally

Our search continues...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    The cleaner who looks after my Edinburgh pad is returning to Austria.. we'll miss her but understand she has to do what she has to do. So reliable and never a compliant from guests on cleanliness.

So we set about finding a replacement. 80-90Sqm apartment, interviewed a local cleaner in town. We explained it can take up to three hours with 3-6 turn arounds every month. £100 was offered and was turned down, she said it was not enough - That's £33p/h for cleaning turned down.

If this is a sign of things to come Brexit Britain is totally

Our search continues...
    You should consider the possibility that she didn't want to work for you even for 33ph. I imagine this canny scots women sized you up as a moaning whinger from the get go.

However, things are quiet in Manchester at the moment so if you can meet my 40ph I'm willing to travel.

Comment

Actually she was from Englandshire, as is half of Edinburgh these days. Think it was Yorkshire she was from..and we've never met. My housekeeper arranges the interviews....
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        You should consider the possibility that she didn't want to work for you even for 33ph. I imagine this canny scots women sized you up as a moaning whinger from the get go.

However, things are quiet in Manchester at the moment so if you can meet my 40ph I'm willing to travel.
        +1 - I suspect she thought there was something dodgy going on so safer to ignore the offer rather than end up with problems later...

What is the current rate for a cleaner in Edinburgh?
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Actually she was from Englandshire, as is half of Edinburgh these days. Think it was Yorkshire she was from..and we've never met. My housekeeper arranges the interviews....
          Then I would worry what your housekeeper/mum is saying about you.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            +1 - I suspect she thought there was something dodgy going on so safer to ignore the offer rather than end up with problems later...

What is the current rate for a cleaner in Edinburgh?
            The uniform put her off.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

UK making a mess of the negotiations

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Have you let the boys from Siol nan Gaidheal know about this? Or are they still staking out some godforsaken farmhouse somewhere?

If she was from Yorkshire you should have offered her something she might value. Like a new flat cap/some whippet feed. Or a train ticket home.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Of course the eu is going to put this propaganda out. Have you read anything about how they handled Greece. The EU are not the good guys.

Comment

£100 was offered and was turned down, she said it was not enough - That's £33p/h for cleaning turned down.
                    Supply vs demand innit.
                    Had she given any indication of her rate before attending the interview? It's one of the first things Agents tend to ask us.

Comment

Working...
                    X