• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit divorce bill (part 94) - I'd like to know...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit divorce bill (part 94) - I'd like to know...

I've not understood why (says the EU) it's for the UK to do the sums and present what it thinks is correct, rather than the EU doing the sums and saying "here, this is what you owe and why".

Can someone please explain this to a thicko like me?

Both sides need to do their own figures. Then negotiate and meet somewhere in the middle.

After all it is a negotiation.

Edited to say - I guess you haven't worked with Europeans? In general they aren't confrontational so you can say your bit.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      I've not understood why (says the EU) it's for the UK to do the sums and present what it thinks is correct, rather than the EU doing the sums and saying "here, this is what you owe and why".

The Germans asked the Spanish to work out the numbers. The Spanish said they would do it tomorrow.

Comment

Because the EU did it originally and the UK told them to bugger off, but didn't present what they think the figure should be.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Because the UK didn't like the estimates provided by the EU, but acknowledged that there should be some sort of "divorce bill", yet failed to provide even an estimate of how big it is supposed to be.

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          The Germans asked the Spanish to work out the numbers. The Spanish said they would do it mañana.
          FTFY

Comment

Because the EU is being a big dafty. Anything to have a winge and paint the British in a bad light. They know the guardian will jump on it and bash the British, the Spiegel etc will make out its the British being awkward. Check out the comments on their articles, nasty.

A deal will be done and the EU will paint itself as the one that came to the rescue and god help any other country leaving the EU.

Comment

Hence Barnier asking for clarity today.
              The British "position papers" have been a masterpiece of obfuscation. That would be fine if there was time but there isn't.
              Mind you I'm beginning to doubt that the Tories actually want a reasonable settlement with the EU.
              They see a once in a lifetime opportunity to reshape Britain as a mini US - the economic pain will blamed on the EU.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                Because the UK didn't like the estimates provided by the EU, but acknowledged that there should be some sort of "divorce bill", yet failed to provide even an estimate of how big it is supposed to be.

FTFY
                Hah the estimates of between 40 and 100 billion. Nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Hence Barnier asking for clarity today.

The British "position papers" have been a masterpiece of obfuscation. That would be fine if there was time but there isn't.

Mind you I'm beginning to doubt that the Tories actually want a reasonable settlement with the EU.
                  They see a once in a lifetime opportunity to reshape Britain as a mini US - the economic pain will blamed on the EU.
                  But how the flipping hell can a figure be given for this so-called divorce bill before every Brexit detail has been agreed?

It's like going to a restaurant and demanding the bill before the meal has started and anything has even been ordered.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The EU have actually clearly stated they should simply pay all the obligations they agreed to, nothing more, nothing less. They're waiting for a yay/nay.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/site...ement_en_1.pdf

This is actually a very simple negotiation but the British government ministers are as thick as pig sh*t

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X