• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post-Contracting Life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-Contracting Life

Hi

Think I'm getting close to finally downing tools and leaving IT contracting. For reasons unknown, as a senior PM with 30 years in the game I'm finding harder than ever to find a contract. I can handle this, the party had to end some time. And I am finding it more difficult than ever to tolerate the agents, who as we all know, make estate agents and politicians look virtuous by comparison.

The profession has been good to me over the years, both as a permie and as a freelancer, I really can't complain, about to turn 50 and I'm financially secure, no mortgage, can get by OK on my savings until I hit 55 and can get my grubby hands on my pension fund.

Anyway, reason for this post is to hopefully generate ideas for what I could consider doing instead. I'm not ready to sit around all day, can't jet off to see the world w/o a divorce (missus not ready to finish work for a fair few years yet)....so I'm looking for random ideas that I could explore for work outside IT.

Any forum contributors got any experiences of what they tried after contracting ? Did it work out ? I fancy something hands-on and practical. Really fancied car mechanic, alas no chance there, my investigations have confirmed that apprenticeships for a 50 year are somewhat thin on the ground LOL.

Anyhow, any random ideas, experiences, etc., would be welcome, they might help generate a thought or two because lack of imagination on my part is part of my challenge.

Cheers.
    Northern Soul.

What are your hobbies? And notice I said hobbies plural.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The missus had a similar problem. After she left her job she had a hole to fill so found something that's hands on. It's maybe not for everyone as she said it's a bit in her face at times. Why not ask her about it next time you book in.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 30 August 2017, 10:22.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hobbies - classic cars (Volkswagens), love spending time working on my two babies, hence the notion of car mechanic , but be a professional requires formal training which alas is nigh on impossible to get at my age. Some pocket money to be earnt chauffeuring brides in my resored 66 camper however. That is on the radar

And travel, missus happy for me to go for away for a month or so which I'll likely. Just not five years

cheers

Comment

We've got a 'mobile valet' who visits clientCo and charges £20 for a wash, polish and hoover round.

He's doing mine as we speak Might work for you if you like cars? Not gonna net you £600 a day though...

Comment

50? What kind of an age is that to pack up? You workshy fop.

Comment

hare cleaning cars, indeed cleaning of any sort, think i'd rather embrace recruitment agents than do cleaning (although only just)

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                50? What kind of an age is that to pack up? You workshy fop.
                if i can find something other than IT that I'd rather be doing then its absolutely bang on the right age to pack up.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Soul View Post
                  if i can find something other than IT that I'd rather be doing then its absolutely bang on the right age to pack up.
                  Ok then...

You could try becoming the patron of a several dozen national charities/organisations? I've got a few i'm trying to offload at the moment, as it happens. How about the Anglo-Swedish society - they seek to promote good relations between Sweden and Great Britain. And there are some cracking birds in Sweden to promote good relations with too (maybe for a month at a time).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    The missus had a similar problem. After she left her job she had a hole to fill so found something that's hands on. It's maybe not for everyone as she said it's a bit in her face at times. Why not ask her about it next time you book in.
                    Never had the need to pay for it bud. Even at 50

Comment

Working...
                    X