• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hired as a BA, working as a hybrid BA/PM... What to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hired as a BA, working as a hybrid BA/PM... What to do

So I'm six weeks into a purported BA role with a major financial institution. It's becoming increasingly clear that I am also the PM. I was waiting to see how this would work out but today I saw the resource planner where I am budgeted as a "BA/PM" but on BA money of course. Naturally I am not best pleased.

I think this surely puts me in IR35 risk because I am failing on the controls test?

I see three options:

-change the contract to reflect the position (and pay)
    -downgrade my work responsibilities to reflect BA work only
    -shake hands and call it a day (which I am willing to do with a treasure chest saved)

All thoughts are welcome on this one from an SDC / IR35 point of view and from a general approach as well

Cheers

Option 4) Get the hands on PM experience whilst you can, which will give you additional skills and therefore more options when it comes to looking for your next contract.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Option 4) Get the hands on PM experience whilst you can, which will give you additional skills and therefore more options when it comes to looking for your next contract.
      Yup, I'd look at it this way.

Comment

Should add some context, I'm a longstanding PM who has done it at this company many times before over the years. I took this BA role on a reduced rate as it filled a gap for client and me, but I am not working on the cheap outside of my contract as a PM for them when my contract clearly states BA. That's something a permie does.

Comment

Originally posted by blueislander View Post
          Should add some context, I'm a longstanding PM who has done it at this company many times before over the years. I took this BA role on a reduced rate as it filled a gap for client and me, but I am not working on the cheap outside of my contract as a PM for them when my contract clearly states BA. That's something a permie does.
          Quote them for the new role.

Comment

and re-confirm the role spec, responsibilities and deliverables.

Comment

Originally posted by blueislander View Post
              That changes things quite a bit.

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Quote them for the new role.
              This or do only BA, I suppose are your options. As you've worked there before and presumably have a decent relationship this should be an easier conversation. I did the same at my last client, the role had changed, so the contract was changed to reflect this with a new rate, easier for me as it was at renewal time.

Comment

My thoughts as well. I am speaking to the agency liason this afternoon, then it up to the programme manager to decide what be wants to do really.

Comment

This is also pretty bad for IR35 too I think? Doing something that was not in your job description, like you said, is extremely permie like. A resource to be used as and when needs come up, rather than a resource used for a specific need and only that need.

Disclaimer: IR35 noobie.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                    This is also pretty bad for IR35 too I think? Doing something that was not in your job description, like you said, is extremely permie like. A resource to be used as and when needs come up, rather than a resource used for a specific need and only that need.

Disclaimer: IR35 noobie.
                    I'll say... Job description????
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X