• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

They make you leave if they think you are thick...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They make you leave if they think you are thick...

There is a whole lot of bother about some school in Bromley kicking out students after year one of A levels if they don't make the grade.

linky

However in this case instead of going quietly because it is a selective school the parents have decided they are going to sue -
    Parents of pupils from St Olave's, in the London borough of Bromley, say that removing pupils between Year 12 and 13 - the lower and upper sixth - is a form of exclusion.

Lawyers representing the parents claim that such an exclusion is unlawful and are seeking a judicial review.

The school has not commented so far.

However when I was at a non-selective A level college many years ago they basically told students who didn't get certain grades in certain subjects that they should consider doing another course or going elsewhere depending on how thick they decided the student was. The grades you had to get varied per course as they had done some statistical analysis on the many previous years students.

Other relations who are younger than me also had this at their schools and colleges. Some selective and others not.

In other words it ain't new. If the school or college thinks you are going to feck up their A level results they make you leave as they want funding for the government for future years.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There is a whole lot of bother about some school in Bromley kicking out students after year one of A levels if they don't make the grade.

linky

However in this case instead of going quietly because it is a selective school the parents have decided they are going to sue -

However when I was at a non-selective A level college many years ago they basically told students who didn't get certain grades in certain subjects that they should consider doing another course or going elsewhere depending on how thick they decided the student was. The grades you had to get varied per course as they had done some statistical analysis on the many previous years students.

Other relations who are younger than me also had this at their schools and colleges. Some selective and others not.

In other words it ain't new. If the school or college thinks you are going to feck up their A level results they make you leave as they want funding for the government for future years.
    Any other musings about how life has changed for the worse since the '50s?

Comment

Perhaps we can try it on CUK?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        I'm not a baby boomer and my relations who told me this are Millennials.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          But how would we show we aren't bigots?

Apparently some of the selection goes on before A levels and even GCSE results due to the perceived background of the pupil.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            sas will be gutted!!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              sas will be gutted!!

Comment

Seems like a proactive step to make. What's the point of letting a 17 year old coast along for an F in their subject if they are neither showing aptitude or effort?

Of course it's down to the schools to make it damn well obvious from the beginning that the path for the course will include a brake point to eject them if they are not trying hard enough to succeed...

Comment

As I understand it, this has always happened at selective schools in the private sector. It's nothing new at all. These schools only get very high A level passes because the only kids who get to take the A levels there are certain to get a minimum of an A grade. Even at Mrs Blogg's state sixth form college they don't allow thick kids to take A levels and if they can avoid admitting them in the first place, they do so.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Has it got worse? I remember growing up in the 70s and poor was poor then. How did you find it growing up in the 50s?

Comment

Working...
                    X