PDA

View Full Version : Impact analysis of Public Sector IR35

TheFaQQer
4th September 2017, 10:00
Interesting report from ContractorCalculator about the impact of the rules changes in the public sector

Key figures from the 1300 survey responses:

27% of contractors left the public sector. Of these, 61% left because they refused to work inside IR35.
47% of departments lost at least 1/4 of their contractors. 24% lost more than 1/2 their contractors, and 7-9% lost all or nearly all of their contractors.
52% said that the contractors who have left have still not been replaced. 15% had been replaced by big consultancies.
70% said that their projects were delayed as a result.

52% said they will never accept an inside IR35 role in the public sector again. 46% said they would, but only if there was a rate increase to cover the extra tax.

21% ruled out working in the public sector regardless of IR35 status.
40% of NHS workers said they were considering quitting contracting completely.

eek
4th September 2017, 10:15
Interesting report from ContractorCalculator about the impact of the rules changes in the public sector

Key figures from the 1300 survey responses:

27% of contractors left the public sector. Of these, 61% left because they refused to work inside IR35.
47% of departments lost at least 1/4 of their contractors. 24% lost more than 1/2 their contractors, and 7-9% lost all or nearly all of their contractors.
52% said that the contractors who have left have still not been replaced. 15% had been replaced by big consultancies.
70% said that their projects were delayed as a result.

52% said they will never accept an inside IR35 role in the public sector again. 46% said they would, but only if there was a rate increase to cover the extra tax.

21% ruled out working in the public sector regardless of IR35 status.
40% of NHS workers said they were considering quitting contracting completely.

that 40% NHS figure doesn't provide a concrete figure. is that 40% leaving contracting and returning to full time employment within the NHS or 40% quitting working for the NHS.

The former is of course what NHS Improvement are hoping for, the latter is what we suspect and NHS Improvement fear but those numbers don't answer the real question....

northernladuk
4th September 2017, 10:55
17% quitting contracting due to reforms. HMRC will be patting themselves on the back about that one.... And opening a crap load of cases to look at them.

It's interesting to read but I'm kinda struggling with it being pages of stats I can't really qualify so just numbers. Am I the only one thinking this?

SueEllen
4th September 2017, 11:38
17% quitting contracting due to reforms. HMRC will be patting themselves on the back about that one.... And opening a crap load of cases to look at them.

It's interesting to read but I'm kinda struggling with it being pages of stats I can't really qualify so just numbers. Am I the only one thinking this?

How many of those 17% retired, emigrated or returned to their country of origin?

northernladuk
4th September 2017, 11:40
How many of those 17% retired, emigrated or returned to their country of origin?

Good point and that's why I'm struggling to understand the figures.

I wonder if the figures would change if they did the poll again. How many of the 61% that said they wouldn't work inside would now consider it if the right gig came up and they are sitting on the bench. I would probably have said the same back in the day but would accept an inside gig given the right circumstances now.

bobspud
4th September 2017, 12:11

The ones that stayed and took the contract change are completely ****ed but the ones that left demonstrated that there was no MOO to accept work.

Its even how HMRC handled it internally...

northernladuk
4th September 2017, 12:20
The ones that stayed and took the contract change are completely ****ed but the ones that left demonstrated that there was no MOO to accept work.

Its even how HMRC handled it internally...

I'm hoping HMRC understand MoO a little better.

bobspud
4th September 2017, 13:18
I'm hoping HMRC understand MoO a little better.

:laugh

KUWTC
5th September 2017, 08:41
According to HMRC, no contractors are leaving the public sector because of IR35 and it's having no detrimental impact on staffing levels. :freaky:

HMRC denies IR35 reforms to blame for public sector IT project delays and cancellations (http://www.computerweekly.com/news/450425695/HMRC-denies-IR35-reforms-to-blame-for-IT-project-delays-and-cancellations)

northernladuk
5th September 2017, 08:44
To be fair there were plenty of cancellations and delays going on before it hit.

My last client had the risk covered and flexed the work to suit. They were pretty proactive about it early on (except for the handling of it when it actually hit) so it was a messy time but I'm not aware it actually caused any cancellations or delays. Just a horrible time for those left. Other clients might have had different experiences of course.

SueEllen
5th September 2017, 08:44
According to HMRC, no contractors are leaving the public sector because of IR35 and it's having no detrimental impact on staffing levels. :freaky:

HMRC denies IR35 reforms to blame for public sector IT project delays and cancellations (http://www.computerweekly.com/news/450425695/HMRC-denies-IR35-reforms-to-blame-for-IT-project-delays-and-cancellations)

How odd - I refused to take those 2 HMRC contracts offered to me last year. One of which keeps being offered to me on a regular basis....

eek
5th September 2017, 08:48

Hello HMRC down in that there London - this is a (pick any) project manager in Longbenton calling... WTF are you talking about.....

northernladuk
5th September 2017, 11:07
How odd - I refused to take those 2 HMRC contracts offered to me last year. One of which keeps being offered to me on a regular basis....

Well if nothing else the changes seemed to resulted in unprecedented levels of desperation from the clients ;)

northernladyuk
14th September 2017, 13:23
Well if nothing else the changes seemed to resulted in unprecedented levels of desperation from the clients ;)

That's where the money's to be made. ;)

lhgleicester
6th October 2017, 11:35
Hello

I am a journalist for BBC Radio 4 looking into the impact of the public sector IR35 rule change.

We are keen to hear from people personally affected, whether you have left a role or seen others leave.

If you are interested, please reply to this post and I will send you a direct message.

Many thanks

Fred Bloggs
6th October 2017, 12:11
Hello

I am a journalist for BBC Radio 4 looking into the impact of the public sector IR35 rule change.

We are keen to hear from people personally affected, whether you have left a role or seen others leave.

If you are interested, please reply to this post and I will send you a direct message.

Many thanks
I recommend you talk to IPSE who may or may not assist you. But it's a start.

northernladuk
6th October 2017, 12:23
He better be quick cause he's heading for a ban spamming the forum with the same request.

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 12:25
Hello

Many thanks

See if you can track down any of these guys on LinkedIn. That would be fun. I'm thinking about 20 minutes through the programme:

Despite HMRC's persistent denials that the public sector is being disrupted, File on Four has learnt that HMRC has itself seen a significant outflow of IT contractors, even threatening its ability to bring in the new off-payroll rules.

IT contractors behind IR35 calculator to leave HMRC... because of IR35 • The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/30/it_contractors_who_build_ir35_calculator_to_leave_ because_of_ir35/)

northernladuk
6th October 2017, 12:32
And the guy that put the fund up to challenge HMRC. That should be good for a giggle.

LoughriggFell
9th October 2017, 13:46
that 40% NHS figure doesn't provide a concrete figure. is that 40% leaving contracting and returning to full time employment within the NHS or 40% quitting working for the NHS.

The former is of course what NHS Improvement are hoping for, the latter is what we suspect and NHS Improvement fear but those numbers don't answer the real question....

I think it is that they are returning into full time employment or taking fixed term contracts at a higher rate. There are far fewer temporary positions and locums about (AHP's in particular) and all of the health agencies seem to be pushing permanent job placements a lot more.