• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tatties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tatties

I dug the tatties last night, planted 60 in May, and we've got loads now

good job

also 7 pumpkins for the Mrs to make her patented pumpkin soup

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    I dug the tatties last night, planted 60 in May, and we've got loads now

good job

also 7 pumpkins for the Mrs to make her patented pumpkin soup

Milan.
    I'll alert the media.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

what's new with you Shawn, have you sell DirtBox cottage yet ?

Will you be downsizing and relasing equity or re-investing the whole principal in an alternative ?

Milan.

edited because of auto correct
      Last edited by milanbenes; 5 September 2017, 08:02.

Comment

What varieties did you do Farmer Benes? My taters were rubbish this year, only had time to stick a few in bags and then forgot to shore them up. Only had a couple of carrier bags full but they were good ones

Shallots were good again, got 10 jars of pickles and enough to plant twice as many next year. I might become a shallot farmer when Kim kills the internet with his EMP.

Got a lot of chillies coming, hope they ripen before it gets too cold as Mrs admin won't be pleased if I have to bring them all inside.

Blackberries were good again this year, halfway through making the first batch of jelly. Neighbour gave us a load of plums too so mad jam with them last week.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
          What varieties did you do Farmer Benes? My taters were rubbish this year, only had time to stick a few in bags and then forgot to shore them up. Only had a couple of carrier bags full but they were good ones

Shallots were good again, got 10 jars of pickles and enough to plant twice as many next year. I might become a shallot farmer when Kim kills the internet with his EMP.

Got a lot of chillies coming, hope they ripen before it gets too cold as Mrs admin won't be pleased if I have to bring them all inside.

Blackberries were good again this year, halfway through making the first batch of jelly. Neighbour gave us a load of plums too so mad jam with them last week.

Good Morning Admin,

dunno what variety they are, I planted what we had leftover from the winter that we'd bought from an old lady in the next village. The skin is very rad though.

I planted shallots and onions, but having not read me book or asked me dad I planted them about ten cm into the ground which obviously was a mistake so they are fooked, we've also got celery, brussel sprouts, peas, and for next year rhubarb, also we'll be planting raspberry bushes next year

Your pickled onions sound great, I'll try some peppers next year too

Vege gardening is great isn't it

Milan.

Comment

Yeah love me garden. I put raspberries in three or four years ago, got a crop this year. And had a rhubarb plant in a pot a couple of years before we moved in here, put it in a raised bed with a load of well rotted manure and it has gone bonkers, really good. Strawberries as well the last few years but they are starting to go off now so will prepare a new bed this winter and plant a new lot in the spring.

Yes, shallots and onions need to have the heads poking out of the surface. Plant shallots on the shortest day and harvest on the longest day. A bit of cold helps the roots form I think. If you can get them in over winter then you are doing well. I started with a couple of packs and am now up to four rows, will see if I can cover a whole of one of the beds this coming season.

Got tomatoes too - Golden Cherry is my favourite variety, really sweet cherry tomato. A few others too.

Chillies - I have Apache, Cherry Bomb, Jalapeno and Fresno. Going to pickle the cherry bomb ones if I get enough but need to sow them earlier and get them in a sunnier spot, need a new greenhouse in a better spot really.

Also did peas this year (massive failure), celeriac (forgot to transplant them and they died) and Jerusalem Artichokes.

Next year will be better, didn't even have time for my usual beetroot and parsnips which is a shame. I like having Christmas dinner with potatoes and parsnips from the garden.

Your potatoes - red ones could be a couple of varieties but I often try and grown Desiree, really nice spuds

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              Yeah love me garden. I put raspberries in three or four years ago, got a crop this year. And had a rhubarb plant in a pot a couple of years before we moved in here, put it in a raised bed with a load of well rotted manure and it has gone bonkers, really good. Strawberries as well the last few years but they are starting to go off now so will prepare a new bed this winter and plant a new lot in the spring.

Yes, shallots and onions need to have the heads poking out of the surface. Plant shallots on the shortest day and harvest on the longest day. A bit of cold helps the roots form I think. If you can get them in over winter then you are doing well. I started with a couple of packs and am now up to four rows, will see if I can cover a whole of one of the beds this coming season.

Got tomatoes too - Golden Cherry is my favourite variety, really sweet cherry tomato. A few others too.

Chillies - I have Apache, Cherry Bomb, Jalapeno and Fresno. Going to pickle the cherry bomb ones if I get enough but need to sow them earlier and get them in a sunnier spot, need a new greenhouse in a better spot really.

Also did peas this year (massive failure), celeriac (forgot to transplant them and they died) and Jerusalem Artichokes.

Next year will be better, didn't even have time for my usual beetroot and parsnips which is a shame. I like having Christmas dinner with potatoes and parsnips from the garden.

Your potatoes - red ones could be a couple of varieties but I often try and grown Desiree, really nice spuds
              this is our first season of doing vegies so we are learning as we go

we tried one tomato, my wife cheated and bought a tomato plant at the beginning of the season from a local nursery
              unbelievable, this tomato plant is like the font of eternal tomatoes, it just keeps producing we're taking off ten or a fifteen a week and they keep coming it's amazing

do you do garlic ? we'll be doing garlic this year, will get them in in Oct/Nov

yep will do the onions properly next time head sticking out

have you got gurkins/courgettes/aubergines/marrows ? we grew all four, all easy to grow, no maintenance

my favourite though is the pumpkins, pumpkins make amazing soups https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...k1.lze7UuFJFZQ and they're easy to grow and you can feed an army with them

Milan.

Comment

Had a lot of courgettes this year.

Comment

Done garlic a couple of times, first time they went green, second time the bulbs were good but small. Might well try again next year but need to dig in a load of manure again this winter so will see how I get on with that.

Usually stick a couple of courgettes in but used old seed and they weren't great so will get some new this year. Aubergines - too shady in my greenhouse, need more light! Got a couple of cucumber plants in the greenhouse, had a load off them and they are still producing. Had a couple of self-seeded pumkins appear where I had some a couple of years ago, got four big ones out there! Will have a look at the soup recipe, cheers, never know what to do with them when I have them.

Didn't even manage any runner or French beans this year. Very poor effort. Need to put the work in over the winter this year so that the plots are ready to go in the spring. Two are cleared already, just needs a dig over and some much chucking on one now in readiness for the shallots and then will chuck muck in the other three in the spring. One is over grown with bindweed though so need to take that out - always something to do in the garden, never enough time!

Comment

What sort of size garden are you lot using for veg and what size of greenhouse(s) ?

I'm currently limited in space so there's no greenhouse, and what planting area we do have is shared between mrs.rl4's veggies and my nectar rich flowers for pollinators. Then a few pots but I really need more space.
                    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Working...
                    X