• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

North Korea: Am I Being Dumb / Missing Something?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Korea: Am I Being Dumb / Missing Something?

We think we know where the Kim regime are located, we think we know where their stash of nukes and missiles are... No killing needs to happen but surely the question has to be asked; why has the world not considered dropping a few wide spread EMP's in strategic locations to put them into a military stranglehold? It gets rid of the threat, stops all of their nuclear progress to date, with extremely minor loss of life when compared to the possibility of another Korean war. (Or Kim deciding to play "toss the A-bomb" with Japan...)

I am sure I am massively over simplifying things, but still....

Because their artillery will level Seoul.
    Then the Yanks will pile in to the North.
    Then the Chinese will pile into the North to square up to the Yanks.
    And then, worst of all, Suity will be right.

Nobody wants that.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
      We think we know where the Kim regime are located, we think we know where their stash of nukes and missiles are... No killing needs to happen but surely the question has to be asked; why has the world not considered dropping a few wide spread EMP's in strategic locations to put them into a military stranglehold? It gets rid of the threat, stops all of their nuclear progress to date, with extremely minor loss of life when compared to the possibility of another Korean war. (Or Kim deciding to play "toss the A-bomb" with Japan...)

Allegedly, there is an awful lot of artillery aimed at Seoul.

If the US is really keen to blow up something, they could presumably hit the the oil pipeline easily. It supplies 90 per cent of oil to North Korea ... so why is China’s pipeline excluded from UN sanctions? | South China Morning Post

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post

I don't think anyone's looking to resolve it and our grown ups certainly aren't in the least bit interested in having any sensible conversations and sorting it out. It's all part of the endless war/threat of war that our arms industries are dependent on.

DSEI 2017: Michael Fallon outlines vision for increasing UK arms trade after Brexit | The Independent

Addressing the world’s largest arms fair in London, Sir Michael Fallon outlined his vision for the UK to take a bigger share of the international defence market and claimed demand was going “through the roof” because of increasing war and terror.
        As long as Trump keeps prodding Kim and threatening him he will continue demonstrating that he's not going anywhere quietly. And Trump/deep state aren't going to STFU any time soon. Chine/Russia are just sitting back and letting it all play out while stating that China will not allow a catastrophic war to happen on their doorstep and an attack on NK = war with China (supported by Russia).

The US backed down over Syria and they will over this, but not without trying to save as much face as possible.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          I don't think anyone's looking to resolve it and our grown ups certainly aren't in the least bit interested in having any sensible conversations and sorting it out. It's all part of the endless war/threat of war that our arms industries are dependent on.

DSEI 2017: Michael Fallon outlines vision for increasing UK arms trade after Brexit | The Independent

As long as Trump keeps prodding Kim and threatening him he will continue demonstrating that he's not going anywhere quietly. And Trump/deep state aren't going to STFU any time soon. Chine/Russia are just sitting back and letting it all play out while stating that China will not allow a catastrophic war to happen on their doorstep and an attack on NK = war with China (supported by Russia).

The US backed down over Syria and they will over this, but not without trying to save as much face as possible.

I like this post a lot, makes a lot of sense. Interestingly, someone's take on it was that China was actually supplying NK with everything they needed to develop their munitions, including scientists / information, in order to enhance their own artillery without making it obvious on the world stage. In short; they are using NK as a test bed to develop their own arms, without losing out on their existing world trade deals and reputation in doing so.

Comment

Does such a weapon you describe exist?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Does such a weapon you describe exist?
              Yes, they're nuclear bombs. In other words, he's suggesting averting the threat of a nuclear conflict by setting off "a few wide spread" nuclear weapons in the potential conflict zone

Comment

Non-nuclear EMP Weapons - How E-Bombs Work | HowStuffWorks

Or if you want to google, the device you're after is a NNEMP (Non-Nuclear EMP)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Yes, they're nuclear bombs. In other words, he's suggesting averting the threat of a nuclear conflict by setting off "a few wide spread" nuclear weapons in the potential conflict zone
                  Not at all... I don't profess to know anything about ranges / effectiveness (I am an IT grunt after all!) however I do know that non nuclear EMP strikes are entirely possible.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Cheaper to leave some of these around Pyongyang with large lumps of cheese in.

Comment

Working...
                    X