• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tricky Situation..but I am happy to be in.!! Any advice highly appreciated...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricky Situation..but I am happy to be in.!! Any advice highly appreciated...

I am in a bit of tricky situation, but I am glad I am in this after few months in bench...

I have seen people asking help in situations like this, but never thought I will be in this

1. Offer-1
    Contract signed, very long contract (years) waiting for SC process completion and start date is 2 weeks away (provided SC is completed). Rate is good . Got 1 Hour train travel cost to be considered. Contract I signed already and doesn't allow me to give any notice at all, I have to provide 'satisfactory' replacement!

Pros : Long term, secure job for years especially current market conditions and expected down fall due to Brexit. Very professional agency (so far)
    Cons : 1 Hour train travel so mostly need to leave home @ 7:30 AM not much flexibility due as train commute, need to depend partner to drop to station and pick-up in the evening, secure site so no WFH, Govt department work

2. Offer-2
    Verbally agreed for a 6 months contract, rate is Offer-1 + 5%, will take next 10 days to complete client's on-boarding process includes some checks. 40 minutes drive. Not sure what's in contract as I am waiting to see details.

Pros : Client I worked many times before, will be able to drive to office so more flexible
    Cons : 6 months only, heavily dependet on market conditions, unknown contract terms (as of now)

What should I do in next 2 weeks..? What you will do if you were in my situation (Honestly I am really enjoying this after few months in bench)

1. Keep on applying and attending interviews (& signing contracts) until you land on your office chair
    2. Sign Offer-2 contract as well, because first one got SC process dependency and could delay if that process takes long
    3. Join which ever role starts first takes you to your office desk. And say sorry to the other one and face legal issues if the agency press as you already signed contract. Also may face life long black list by the agency.
    4. First one is signed already, so put all eggs in that basket and take risk by not signing second one though SC could be delayed

Please suggest what you will do..?. I am thinking of doing 1,2 &3.

Please help. Thanks.
    Last edited by Darren_Test; 20 September 2017, 13:07.

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    I am in a bit of tricky situation, but I am glad I am in this after few months in bench...

I have seen people asking help in situations like this, but never thought I will be in this

1. Offer-1
    Postdated (2 weeks away) Contract signed, very long contract (years) waiting for SC process completion and start date is 2 weeks away (provided SC is completed). Rate is good . Got 1 Hour train travel cost to be considered. Contract I signed already and doesn't allow me to give any notice at all, I have to provide 'satisfactory' replacement!

Pros : Long term, secure job for years especially current market conditions and expected down fall due to Brexit. Very professional agency (so far)
    Cons : 1 Hour train travel so mostly need to leave home @ 7:30 AM not much flexibility due as train commute, need to depend partner to drop to station and pick-up in the evening, secure site so no WFH, Govt department work

2. Offer-2
    Verbally agreed for a 6 months contract, rate is Offer-1 + 5%, will take next 10 days to complete client's on-boarding process includes some checks. 40 minutes drive. Not sure what's in contract as I am waiting to see details.

Pros : Client I worked many times before, will be able to drive to office so more flexible
    Cons : 6 months only, heavily dependet on market conditions, unknown contract terms (as of now), agency's reputation may be bit low though I didn't had any experience with them

What should I do in next 2 weeks..? What you will do if you were in my situation (Honestly I am really enjoying this after few months in bench)

1. Keep on applying and attending interviews (& signing contracts) until you land on your office chair
    2. Sign Offer-2 contract as well, because first one got SC process dependency and could delay if that process takes long
    3. Join which ever role starts first takes you to your office desk. And say sorry to the other one and face legal issues if the agency press as you already signed contract. Also may face life long black list by the agency.
    4. First one is signed already, so put all eggs in that basket and take risk by not signing second one though SC could be delayed

Please help. Thanks.
    What are the car parking arrangements for Offer 2?

Comment

So it was you posting all these threads about your "friend".

Take the offer from one you have that allows you to learn some new technology and/or skills.

Remember if the travel becomes too much after 6 months you can leave and go elsewhere.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post

1. Offer-1
        Contract signed, very long contract (years) waiting for SC process completion and start date is 2 weeks away (provided SC is completed). Rate is good . Got 1 Hour train travel cost to be considered. Contract I signed already and doesn't allow me to give any notice at all, I have to provide 'satisfactory' replacement!

2. Offer-2

Cons : 6 months only, heavily dependet on market conditions, unknown contract terms (as of now), agency's reputation may be bit low though I didn't had any experience with them

Please help. Thanks.
        Offer 1 - go on holiday

Comment

Responses in an envelope posted through the letter box please.

Option 4 - Post this question on your Psychcandy account. As hard to believe as it is, even that one has more credibility and professionalism than this one.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 20 September 2017, 13:09.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            What are the car parking arrangements for Offer 2?
            to be worked out...

Comment

What would a competent contractor do?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Take the offer from one you have that allows you to learn some new technology and/or skills.

Remember if the travel becomes too much after 6 months you can leave and go elsewhere.
                ...Offer-1 could be bit dull though Agile, DevOps, Infra, Cloud all are mentioned during chat with them
                Offer-2 could be Agile, IoT more in line with what I did in last 5+ years

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  What would a competent contractor do?
                  That is why I am asking help from you..

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I can't give any notice, have to find satisfactory replacement.

Comment

Working...
                    X