• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blair 'sorrow' over slave trade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blair 'sorrow' over slave trade

Slavery had been 'profoundly shameful', Mr Blair said
    Prime Minister Tony Blair has said he feels "deep sorrow" for Britain's role in the slave trade.

In an article for the New Nation newspaper, the prime minister said it had been "profoundly shameful".

But Mr Blair stopped short of issuing a full apology, which some commentators have demanded.

The government is reportedly setting out its plans for next year's bicentenary of the abolition of the slave trade.

'Crime against humanity'

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has been drawing up ideas for the 25 March anniversary, including the possibility of a "statement of regret" for Britain's involvement.

He has already ruled out a formal apology.

In comments reported by The Observer, Mr Blair said: "It is hard to believe what would now be a crime against humanity was legal at the time.

"I believe the bicentenary offers us a chance not just to say how profoundly shameful the slave trade was - how we condemn its existence utterly and praise those who fought for its abolition - but also to express our deep sorrow that it could ever have happened and rejoice at the better times we live in today."

The statement is due to appear in New Nation, a newspaper aimed at the black community, on Monday.
    Next we will be apologising for killing all those fuzzy wussies
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has been drawing up ideas for the 25 March anniversary, including the possibility of a "statement of regret" for Britain's involvement.
    This guarantees two things:

1. I shall ignore it

2. Whatever he organises will be a fuck up

Comment

it bods

well he is not sorry about IT slavery in UK right now. read this

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...m_sub-america/

Comment

Exactly. and all Germans should still be sorry for both wars. The Bastards!!!!

That Noah also let all those people drown. Bastard
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'm confused, where's the vote of thanks to Britain for leading the way in abolishing the slave trade?

Or are there some selective memories in operation here?
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
            That Noah also let all those people drown. Bastard
            To be fair, God should really be apologising for that one. I think humanity should demand a full apology.

In Bristol, they were going to name the new shopping centre "Merchant's Quarter", until people objected to the name on the grounds that it reminded them of Bristol's association with the slave trade.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
              Next we will be apologising for killing all those fuzzy wussies

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread11803-fuzzy.html

erm, i wonder who troll is?
              I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner

Naw... the spelling is different & mailmans antipodean
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Anyone up early enough to see Breakfast this morning? Has some black chick and a historian talking about slavery.

Naturally the black chick was calling for an apology BUT she didnt just stop there...she wanted money from the evil whities!

Then the historian started talking that slavery was started by the Africans and under the Arabs slavery was a number of times larger and more organised BUT the black chick wouldnt have a bar of this!

If I was Blair I would have said I have nothing to apologise and that you darkies should thank us for civilising you lot!

Seriously though, that black chick really got my goat. And apart from stewing it she showed the same ignorance and arrogance as all the apologists out there. She didnt want to know about the role her own "people" played in slavery, what them peace loving arabs had done or that anyone else could have possibly had a role in slavery. No...it was all down to you racist dawgs from europe to apologise for being capatalists!

I bet she even donates 10% of her wage to a charity!

Mailman

Mailman

Comment

Was she hot?

Would you donate her one?

Comment

Working...
                    X