• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

crazy train fares

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crazy train fares

Ok, so it's a few years (5 I think) since I used the train in England, but ffs - £62 London to Liverpool single or "Saver" return. What happened?

The standard singles, returns, saver returns and super saver returns have their prices controlled by the regulator so tend to be the most expensive options. If you can book in advance for specific services then prices tumble.
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Try single tickets (they have to have some special types that are cheap - on thetrainline.com they have special link you need to click to see them) - stupid but 2 of them can be a LOT cheaper even at peak times! Main catch there is exact time of travel.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
        Ok, so it's a few years (5 I think) since I used the train in England, but ffs - £62 London to Liverpool single or "Saver" return. What happened?
        £62 stopped being much money, and trains stopped being cheap.

I go from Beds to Germany via Heathrow every week. Home to airport by train is more expensive than the flight to Germany.

Comment

Briitish Rail by any other name

I tried to buy a weekly ticket on Saturday to start on Monday (today). "You can't do that, you can only buy one to start on Sunday". OK I said but when she tried, apparently I'd have to buy it after 6am on Sunday. When I asked why, she said that the system wouldn't let her do it.

So now I have to buy daily return tickets on the train, which I'll pay in cash.

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
            So now I have to buy daily return tickets on the train, which I'll pay in cash.
            Yes and you pay overall more than if you had gotten that weekly ticket, see the point of not making the system do it for you now? British Rail sure does.

Comment

Its costs me abot £188 return to get to that stupid London. And thats standard class!!!
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

last time i had to go from manchester to london i ended up flying as it was significantly cheaper than the train
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

I hope they did not have to clean up the airplane after you...

Comment

Just been to Bradford station to ask if I can go in on Friday and buy a weekly ticket starting the following Monday. They said yes, no problem.

So rang up the ticket line and asked why other ticket office wouldn't sell this to me. Ticketline told me that I have to buy it on the first day of the ticket, and that Bradford have got it wrong.

I'll see what happens on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                    X