• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it quiet or is it me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it quiet or is it me?

My current contract is ending at the beginning of January so I've started looking for a new one. Been putting my CV around for about 2 weeks now, but only had a handful of calls and none of those seem to relate to genuine positions.

I realise it's a bad time of year to be looking, but I've never had such a poor response in 6 years of contracting. I've got a fairly concise collection of web developer skills - not superman or anything, but usually plenty sufficient to get me work.

Should I be worrying, or is it just a bit slow at the moment and something will come along?

Originally posted by dang65
    My current contract is ending at the beginning of January so I've started looking for a new one. Been putting my CV around for about 2 weeks now, but only had a handful of calls and none of those seem to relate to genuine positions.

I realise it's a bad time of year to be looking, but I've never had such a poor response in 6 years of contracting. I've got a fairly concise collection of web developer skills - not superman or anything, but usually plenty sufficient to get me work.

Should I be worrying, or is it just a bit slow at the moment and something will come along?
    [Atw mode on]
    It's you. X-train to something more marketable.
    [/Atw mode off]

Just this time of year mate. Chill out. Enjoy Xmas and panic about it during the New Year at the same time you're trying to lose weight, quit smoking and take up a new hobby.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
      Just this time of year mate. Chill out. Enjoy Xmas and panic about it during the New Year at the same time you're trying to lose weight, quit smoking and take up a new hobby.
      That's reassuring (sort of).

One call I had they seemed interested in me till I said I'd have to give a couple of weeks notice and then they said they needed someone for an immediate start and practically hung up on me. So, I guess there may be an advantage in actually being unemployed when it comes to it.

I'd like to know how many people are applying to each advert these days though. I get the impression I'm in amongst a big crowd at the moment.

Comment

So, I guess there may be an advantage in actually being unemployed when it comes to it.
        You cant be unemployed when you are self employed, unless you decide to sack yourself. Jeezuz, Hector might be listening...

Comment

its late November. Same every year.

Comment

Originally posted by pickle
            You cant be unemployed when you are self employed, unless you decide to sack yourself. Jeezuz, Hector might be listening...
            When I set up my Ltd Co I asked my accountant "does this mean I am self-employed?" and he said "no, sole traders are self-employed, but you are simply employed by Your Co Ltd."

Comment

Originally posted by super
              When I set up my Ltd Co I asked my accountant "does this mean I am self-employed?" and he said "no, sole traders are self-employed, but you are simply employed by Your Co Ltd."
              Are you saying that your LTD Co sacks you every time a contract ends, and then rehires you when a contract starts up again? I'd take your LTD Co to court for unfair dismissal!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                Are you saying that your LTD Co sacks you every time a contract ends, and then rehires you when a contract starts up again? I'd take your LTD Co to court for unfair dismissal!!!

No, he's saying that I am employed by Your Co Ltd throughout whether Your Co Ltd is currently under contract with Big Client Ltd or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco

Im thinking that you should sign on between contracts. What if you dont get any more work? You will be liable for NI etc etc.

Anybody agree?

2c
                  jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Originally posted by errorista
                    Im thinking that you should sign on between contracts. What if you dont get any more work? You will be liable for NI etc etc.

Anybody agree?

2c
                    Not sure I follow what you suggest. Sign on to what?

Comment

Working...
                    X