• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grenfell - K & C are still...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grenfell - K & C are still...

fecking up

linky

An LBC investigation has found the fire doors in the tower block next to Grenfell are flammable.

Chartered Surveyor Arnold Tarling, who contributed to the report on the Lakanal Tower Fire, inspected the building with our reporter Rachael Venables.

They found a series of problems, including insecure rubbish chutes running all the way up the building; fire escapes with doors so heavy and stiff, they were inaccessible to disabled people; and fire doors that are flammable.
    Hope none of you have relatives, friends or acquaintances who live in tower blocks.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    fecking up

linky

Hope none of you have relatives, friends or acquaintances who live in tower blocks.
    the fire doors in the tower block next to Grenfell are flammable.
    Isn't that taking the definition of "fire doors" a little too literally?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Social housing should not be in towers. They should be in houses. In the North.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Social housing should not be in towers. They should be in houses. In the North.
        Remember due to RTB some of the people living in tower blocks aren't social tenants but private tenants and leaseholders. Depending on the area and type of housing e.g. low rise flats this could be the majority of the occupants.

Oh and we need social housing in London as we need care workers, nurse, firefighters, refuse collectors etc. I've met younger police officers and nurses who now have to live 80 miles out of London if they want to live in a house they own.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Remember due to RTB some of the people living in tower blocks aren't social tenants but private tenants and leaseholders. Depending on the area and type of housing e.g. low rise flats this could be the majority of the occupants.

Oh and we need social housing in London as we need care workers, nurse, firefighters, refuse collectors etc. I've met younger police officers and nurses who now have to live 80 miles out of London if they want to live in a house they own.
          Indeed. Plenty of "rich" people in tower blocks. And they are building lots more at the Wharf. Mini Manhattan and Mini Hong Kong I think? I bet the standards(fire and otherwise) are the legal minimum.

I agree about essential workers. Though I have seen essential worker housing given to people on benefits. And sometimes essential workers sublet.

An alternative is to increase essential worker pay - though I can see several drawbacks.

However I am very sure that no-one on benefits should be housed inside the M25. Or foreign owned homes. Or second homes.

Comment

Indeed. Plenty of "rich" people in tower blocks. And they are building lots more at the Wharf. Mini Manhattan and Mini Hong Kong I think? I bet the standards(fire and otherwise) are the legal minimum.

I agree about essential workers. Though I have seen essential worker housing given to people on benefits. And sometimes essential workers sublet.

An alternative is to increase essential worker pay - though I can see several drawbacks.

However I am very sure that no-one on benefits should be housed inside the M25. Or foreign owned homes. Or second homes.
            Lots of people are on child tax credit or PIP which are benefits let alone child benefit.

Even more working people are on Housing Benefit because rents are too high in the UK regardless of where they are or what they do.

Then there is the issue of what happens when people get made redundant. Are you as say an ex-council worker with a child not entitled to try and find another job where you are?

So it is not as easy as saying if you are benefits you shouldn't be housed within the M25.

Comment

Lots of people are on child tax credit or PIP which are benefits let alone child benefit. Pedant

Even more working people are on Housing Benefit because rents are too high in the UK regardless of where they are or what they do. Agreed. Rents are way too high. For everyone.

Then there is the issue of what happens when people get made redundant. Are you as say an ex-council worker with a child not entitled to try and find another job where you are? Council workers are never made redundant. We can't house everyone in K&C. A line has to be drawn.

Comment

Lots of people are on child tax credit or PIP which are benefits let alone child benefit. Pedant
                Just copying you earlier on another thread.

Even more working people are on Housing Benefit because rents are too high in the UK regardless of where they are or what they do. Agreed. Rents are way too high. For everyone.

Then there is the issue of what happens when people get made redundant. Are you as say an ex-council worker with a child not entitled to try and find another job where you are? Council workers are never made redundant. We can't house everyone in K&C. A line has to be drawn.
                Council workers are made redundant. (They also have the trick now of employing a load as temporary workers or on zero hours contracts. )Anyway the ones who are made redundant just find another job with another council.

Anyway I just made up an example to point out you can't kick someone out of their home if they lose their job. Also the longer they are unemployed the less money they have so it a mine field of when you move people on.

Of course we can't house everyone in K&C but it doesn't mean they can't be housed somewhere else in London within reason if their job is local. So housing a worker in the borough next door can be feasible depending on where that housing is. Unfortunately most of the borough's in London have their own housing problems so this doesn't work in practice.

Anyway as far as K&C is concerned they have the money and housing available to house these particular people. They just aren't forcing the developers to sort out the housing or buying the blocks of them.

Comment

Working...
                X