• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The remystification of science

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The remystification of science

What I don't understand is why my doctor's receptionist has to ask me why I need to see the doctor when I need an appointment.

Does anyone else's doctor's receptionist do this ?

(I am not liking this)

Because there are a billion Chavs out there with a cold "who must see the doctor urgently".

Comment

Well, fair enough, but my doctor only accepts appointments on the same day anyhow, and if chav was desperate surely they would make something up ??

I am not a friend of the NHS.

Comment

It's so your doctor can pull out the relevant text books to find out if your symptoms match what you think it is
        HTH

Comment

From speaking to the receptionists at several surgeries, the practice tends to vary from surgery to surgery.

Those that do ask are trying to ascertain if your requirement is an emergency one. There are only so many slots available to a doctor in the day, and they tend to get booked quickly.

There are embargoed slots, which are kept for the direst emergencies, and never used for normal appointments. These might be "I woke up and discovered a lump, etc" where its important to see the patient ASAP, both medically and to reassure them.

Did you know, for example, that typically, 25-40% of booked appointments EVERY DAY are not attended. One surgery I know had a list of DNA's last month of 1,100 appointments. Hence why they tend to ask if you really need to come.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
            Did you know, for example, that typically, 25-40% of booked appointments EVERY DAY are not attended.
            Make strict requirement to enter the door exactly in the minute of the appointment or it gets moved to the next person who is waiting for such window of opportunity - with 25-40% extra capacity at hand it seems pretty good chances to just sit there and wait for someone not to turn up.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
              Did you know, for example, that typically, 25-40% of booked appointments EVERY DAY are not attended.
              Do these figures include the person I know who waited once 20 minutes after appontment time, and again 40 minutes? In both cases without a word of explanation or ETA, far less apology; who both times had to leave then for work without seeing the doctor; and who now won't even try see the doctor at all because there's no point, it just wastes time and gets you in trouble at work without even getting to see the doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                Make strict requirement to enter the door exactly in the minute of the appointment or it gets moved to the next person who is waiting for such window of opportunity - with 25-40% extra capacity at hand it seems pretty good chances to just sit there and wait for someone not to turn up.
                What if you forget to synchronise your watch with you local doctors surgery and arrive 30 seonds late ???

Or (My personal bugbear) what if you get there 5 mins early and then have to stand there for 15 mins waiting for the fecking receptionist to stop chatting on the phone so she can book you in ????

Comment

These problems would not exist if it was a user-pays system. (ie a proper business)

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    What if you forget to synchronise your watch with you local doctors surgery and arrive 30 seonds late ???
                    Arrive early - if you need to see doctor it means you are supposedly ill, so if you want to be cured then do your bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X