• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC accused of suppressing opinions shared in IR35 Forum minutes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC accused of suppressing opinions shared in IR35 Forum minutes

It seems no matter how much evidence you dig up, HMRC won't have it that contractors have left the public sector over IR35

HMRC accused of suppressing IR35 stakeholder views on public sector contractor walkouts

HMRC are adamant that all such evidence is hearsay and so can be disregarded. Contractors saying they are not applying for PS gigs because of IR35 is apparently not a reason to believe that contractors are not applying for PS gigs because of IR35.

And since the PS is still filling roles - albeit with either higher rates to offset the contractors' losses or worse applicants or contractors who aren't paying attention or all three - we can also disregard the evidence that projects are costing more, being abandoned or being delayed for lack of skilled resource (and we all know the answer to that one, don't we...). And of course there has been a surge in "schemes" intended to step around the new rules and agencies illegally passing the role of "fee payer" back to the contractor's company.

Somebody really needs to take HMG by the throat and get them to put HMRC back in its box. It's all well and good chasing legitimately owed taxes, but telling outright lies, or wilfully distorting reality is not - or bloody well shouldn't be - part of the remit.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Dunno about you guys but I'm seeing the posts vacated by contractors being filled by big-brand (mega-expensive) suppliers.

This may be masking the true impact of new IR35 regs, although (hopefully) the effect of swapping ~£400p.d. people for ~£1500 p.d. people should start to be felt soon.

Comment

Even if the net costs rise due to PS clients reverting to costlier consultancies than individual contractors, HMRC can say they are clamping down on disguised employment and making individuals pay their 'fair share' of tax.

At the same time letting multinational companies off the hook for billions.

So the cost issue is moot in that it's not the overall goal of HMRC or the government.

In a perverse way I welcome HMRC's incompetence in tackling the issue. The more they drive sane contractors away the more the clients have to pay. Eventually those contractors left willing to do PS work may be on a rate not that far away from the consultancies.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I see your point but it is still such a shame that HMRC continue targeting the small guys, strangling innovation and entrepreneurship in the process, whilst letting the big corporations avoid their responsibilities.

This is so important if we are to have any chance of a rapid recovery from Brexit.

https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/kno...ll-businesses/

Legislation won't work, change will only happen if/when people/procurement make educated choices about where they spend their (public) money.

Comment

Working...
          X