• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memories of Old Bath

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memories of Old Bath

Memories of Old Bath

I'm particularly drawn to the reference to Marchant's Passage as I spent many a night in Marchant's Passage when I didn't have any money left for my bus fare home.

The entrance to Eric Snook's was the most comfortable, ISTR.

I'll never forget going into the Southgate branch of Boots when it first opened and being completely overwhelmed by the sheer size of it. You couldn't see from one side to the other. There were tales of old ladies disappearing in there and never being heard of again. My old grandmother refused to enter the shop for fear of getting lost and opted to use the smaller Guildhall branch instead.

Then there was John Menzies. Does anyone remember perusing magazines you were never going to buy? You were never alone. I always remember a long line of gentlemen thumbing through copies of railway modeller and such like. Periodically the manageress would do a sweep and tell everyone to put their periodicals down unless they were going to pay for them and telling them to clear off.

Fascinating stuff....

Here's mine

Comment

Went to uni there. Remember various stuff, none of those tho.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Went to uni there. Remember various stuff, none of those tho.
        Not the Beau Street Baths?

Not the Beau Nash Cinema?

Not the Merry Friar?

Were you living under a stone or did you never leave Claverton Down?

Comment

I'm guessing you don't mean the Southgate that is there now one of my first memories of bath was staying at the Bailbrook house hotel while working for ICL twenty odd years ago. We went on a drinking spree with the protestors that were making a fuss over the a46 bypass. great fun. Have always liked Bath its a nice calm place to be.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            I'm guessing you don't mean the Southgate that is there now one of my first memories of bath was staying at the Bailbrook house hotel while working for ICL twenty odd years ago. We went on a drinking spree with the protestors that were making a fuss over the a46 bypass. great fun. Have always liked Bath its a nice calm place to be.
            Ah well, I had a summer job at Bailbrook College working in the canteen.

They used to train air traffic controllers from the middle east. Long since closed now though.

And, no. Not that Southgate. The one that went up in 1975. I can still remember the original Southgate Street that predates that

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
              Ah well, I had a summer job at Bailbrook College working in the canteen.

They used to train air traffic controllers from the middle east. Long since closed now though.

And, no. Not that Southgate. The one that went up in 1975. I can still remember the original Southgate Street that predates that
              The college was where I was studying with ICL. They had a side deal on with them. I can just about remember the end of the old Southgate as it was pulled down just as we moved down.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                The college was where I was studying with ICL. They had a side deal on with them. I can just about remember the end of the old Southgate as it was pulled down just as we moved down.
                You'll probably know the Porter Butt and King William pretty well then

Comment

Bollocks is Britain’s first language
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Had a contract in Bath a few years ago, and the B&B where I stayed was literally two doors down from the clientco office and I could see my desk from the window of my room in the B&B!

But this was in winter and after it snowed, the snow seemed to hang around for a good couple of weeks, and once or twice it was actually quite challenging just walking the fifty feet or so up the steep hill from my B&B to the office
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X