• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bike Ride to Chepstow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Ride to Chepstow

A friend and I are planning a cycle ride from Bristol to Chepstow.

Quick question to those in the know.

I know it's possible to cycle across the Welsh bridge but is accessibility subject to the vagaries of overly cautious health and safety diktats?

i.e. Are we likely to peddle all the way over to Aust to find that anything stiffer than a gentle sea breeze will result in the removal of my freedom of choice to subject myself to the risk of being blown off and falling in the Bristol Channel?

you'll be safer on the cycle path than the road itself because the cycle path is lower than the profile of the road by a number of metres and therefore you're out of the way of the wind

it's rare that they stop traffic on the cycle path

have done it myself from when I was living in digs in Clifton

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      you'll be safer on the cycle path than the road itself because the cycle path is lower than the profile of the road by a number of metres and therefore you're out of the way of the wind

Milan.
      Nice one Milan! Everyone knows cyclists often die there. Hopefully this will kill off the GricerSockie......

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Milan.
        Thanks Milo for your reply.

It seems there are paths on both sides so if there is a strong prevailing wind do they close the left hand path (as one approaches the Welsh side) and redirect you to the right hand path?

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          Thanks Milo for your reply.

It seems there are paths on both sides so if there is a strong prevailing wind do they close the left hand path (as one approaches the Welsh side) and redirect you to the right hand path?
          If you are going to Wales on a bike, in a garish spandex outfit, then high winds will be the least of your concerns.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            A friend and I are planning a cycle ride from Bristol to Chepstow.

Quick question to those in the know.

I know it's possible to cycle across the Welsh bridge but is accessibility subject to the vagaries of overly cautious health and safety diktats?

i.e. Are we likely to peddle all the way over to Aust to find that anything stiffer than a gentle sea breeze will result in the removal of my freedom of choice to subject myself to the risk of being blown off and falling in the Bristol Channel?
            Let's hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              If you are going to Wales on a bike, in a garish spandex outfit, then high winds will be the least of your concerns.

I do have added protection...

Comment

Will someone rid us of this tiresome DoggyStyle sockie?

Comment

Done that route on trips to Tinturn and a loops up to the Forest of Dean around to Gloucester and back to Brizzle via the A38 many times.

The cycle path is the one on the right (as you approach the Welsh side), the one on the other side is open to non-motorway two wheeled transportation so best to avoid (plus you don't arrive in Wales in the best place to continue your journey).

If you want to ride into Chepstow itself, when you get to the Welsh side I'd suggest staying on the shared ped / cycling path on the right rather than getting on the road. It's a slight uphill all the way and the road surface is really 'draggy' (high rolling resistance).

Never had too much of a problem with the wind. If it is windy just be careful when you pass the towers as any wind you are taking into account suddenly disappears.

Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by jonskids View Post
                    Done that route on trips to Tinturn and a loops up to the Forest of Dean around to Gloucester and back to Brizzle via the A38 many times.

The cycle path is the one on the right (as you approach the Welsh side), the one on the other side is open to non-motorway two wheeled transportation so best to avoid (plus you don't arrive in Wales in the best place to continue your journey).

If you want to ride into Chepstow itself, when you get to the Welsh side I'd suggest staying on the shared ped / cycling path on the right rather than getting on the road. It's a slight uphill all the way and the road surface is really 'draggy' (high rolling resistance).

Never had too much of a problem with the wind. If it is windy just be careful when you pass the towers as any wind you are taking into account suddenly disappears.

Enjoy the ride.

Thanks Jon Skids.

All duly noted

We'll be following the national cycle route up the Portway, out through Shirehampton & up to Pilning.

Comment

Working...
                    X