• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Armchair Generals "What if . . ." thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armchair Generals "What if . . ." thread

Suppose, that the Pope were assassinated in Turkey, what would be the response from "the west"?

1. A typically PC tail-between-the-legs "Oh dear, jolly bad show, these things happen", and an apology for him being there in the first place.

2. The mass expulsion of swarthy types from predominantly Catholic countries, prompting diplomatic breakdown between southern European countries and their African and Middle Eastern neighbours. The Saudis throw their lot in with their 'brothers' and the price of oil goes through the roof.

3. The scuppering of Turkeys application to join the EU.
    The vegetarian option.

The Pope is an Irrelevant anachronism to the countries that matter.
    So none of the above ...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

4. Loads of cheering. I'd really like him to be assasinated, designer wearing Nazi !

Comment

Not a lot would happen apart from a few idiots who would protest outside The Bernard Matthews factory and refuse to eat Turkey at Christmas.

Comment

I would guess that countries that have a population whose belief system is mainly split between Catholic and Muslim are likely to see an increase in sectarian violence with Catholics attacking Muslims and vice versa.

I wouldn't expect countries to start attacking each other over it, if Turkey have done all they can to increase security they can hardly be to blame for the pope's death if he is killed. After all it is his decision to go there despite the danger.

Comment

Let's look at precedent. What happened when Archduke Ferdinand was topped on a visit to swarthy parts?

Comment

If I was assassinated there would be some happy faces in the Vatican. There would not be the turmoil as expected.

My predecessor was too involved with the CIA in overthrowing the communist regime in Poland, that is way he was targeted.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                Let's look at precedent. What happened when Archduke Ferdinand was topped on a visit to swarthy parts?
                That's exactly what prompted me! And in a world increasingly divided along religous lines, such an event might be the catalyst for a widespread backlash.
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
                  4. Loads of cheering. I'd really like him to be assasinated, designer wearing Nazi !
                  why?

Comment

I can't go into a lot of detail, as I am ill. But the sooner he is gone, the better, the CC needs to be moving forward, not backward.

Comment

Working...
                    X