• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocking this - Orwellian HR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocking this - Orwellian HR

One of the chaps who works across from me was pulled out this morning - not to be seen again.

Couldn't believe what had happened - during a town hall last week somebody mentioned there were yoga classes available at lunchtime & he made an off-hand remark that they looked like the kind of sessions where you'd want to be at the back.

Somebody takes offence and he's shown the door. Really!

I thought that these snowflakes that take offence at everything were made up by the Daily Mail.

Apparently not.

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    One of the chaps who works across from me was pulled out this morning - not to be seen again.

Couldn't believe what had happened - during a town hall last week somebody mentioned there were yoga classes available at lunchtime & he made an off-hand remark that they looked like the kind of sessions where you'd want to be at the back.

I thought that these snowflakes that take offence at everything were made up by the Daily Mail.

Apparently not.
    Do you know what his previous charge sheet looked like?

Comment

Apparently not.
      What does "during a town hall last week" mean? I'm guessing a typo or missing word, but my built-in interpolation and error correcting algorithm failed!

WRT to the sudden disappearance, could it be this remark was just a pretext for firing him and maybe some other aspect was at fault such as performance or timekeeping or even personal hygiene?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        What does "during a town hall last week" mean? I'm guessing a typo or missing word, but my built-in interpolation and error correcting algorithm failed!

WRT to the sudden disappearance, could it be this remark was just a pretext for firing him and maybe some other aspect was at fault such as performance or timekeeping or even personal hygiene?
        A "Town Hall" is a weekly forum to disseminate info to the wider development community.

I believe it's yet another Agile construct.

My definition is a pointless 30 minutes during which management guff passes in one ear and straight out through the other.

Comment

Everyone has town halls these days, it's actually just corporate/departmental announcements where you waste 1/2 - 1 hour of your time standing around and not hearing the announcer correctly because they're too quiet or they don't know how to use the mic.

The term town hall is incorrect as TH's imply that it's a 2-way communication but usually it's not.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

A "Town Hall" is a weekly forum to disseminate info to the wider development community.

I believe it's yet another Agile construct.

My definition is a pointless 30 minutes during which management guff passes in one ear and straight out through the other.
            Is it deliverable focussed or just part-and-parcel-of-the-company stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              It's usually bigger picture project related stuff. Apart from details of yoga classes, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                "deliverable focussed"

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It's usually bigger picture project related stuff. Apart from details of yoga classes, that is.
                  Sounds like psychocandy inside IR35 stuff. Don't go to them.

Comment

They have things called "Huddles" here. I do not go to them.

Comment

Working...
                    X