• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hate contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate contracting

I was in a conference call yesterday when the bloke on the other end of the phone asked if I was a contractor. On an affirmative he then said to the whole room, "oh I think it's a mistake giving this piece of work to a contractor" to which I had to reply out loud 'It's lucky I have a thick skin isn't it'

and the moneys tulip.

He's right though. Come renewal, I aint renewing and they should have never given the work Im doing to a contractor!!!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

So true. I have a dilemma, major threat of a new contract which I will probably get if I try but utterly dull work. Should I lie to the wife and say there's nothing on the horizon and go happily back to my £5k a year business or take it and be better off but bored witless for the next 6 months?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

So who else won't be renewing?

Tell me about it. I have a %*@!£# bullying line manager and a %*@!£# bitchy colleague who's so far up the manager's derriere it's unbearable working here. Even taken the man to greivance procedures - but what can you do? Shame really as the company is great.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
        Tell me about it. I have a %*@!£# bullying line manager and a %*@!£# bitchy colleague who's so far up the manager's derriere it's unbearable working here. Even taken the man to greivance procedures - but what can you do? Shame really as the company is great.
        Cut their brake lines...
        The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
          Cut their brake lines...
          They take the train...

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
            They take the train...
            Trains have brakes. You may get a few innocents at the same time though.
            Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
              Trains have brakes. You may get a few innocents at the same time though.
              It'd be the train out to Essex so no problem there.

Comment

I know I am being dense, but I can't understand what work couldn't be given to a contractor...

Comment

Permie work...i.e. the interesting stuff.
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

I know the feeling. My current gig is rubbish, but for me, the money is ok. I was told that I was the best person they interviewed for this role yet I have never done anything like this before and it's cr@p - I can only assume that they either interviewed a whole bunch of muppets or they took on the wrong person or both! They keep giving me tasks where they only provide me with half the info and seem to expect me to magically know loads of comepany specific stuff. They are not using any of the skills I would say are my strengths, and the skills I thought I was being brought in for.

I'm bored rigid. They have offered me another 4 months which, given the fact my wife has severe kidney problems and will have to be hooked up to a machine before long and that the money is better than anything I could hope to get in the NW, I'll have to take. Purely in a get as much cash in a short amount of time basis.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X