• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunchtime advice from a colleague

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunchtime advice from a colleague

So there I am, sitting at a round table in the company restaurant at lunchtime, trying to eat and read The Sun...erm, I mean The Times and two other blokes decide to sit at the same table as me and rapidly begin to annoy the feck out of me.

I try to ignore them whilst reading all about the goings on in 'I'm a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here', when bloke number 1 asks bloke number 2 what he thinks in his opinion is a good piece of software for building websites.

The reply was (well something like this)..

"The best thing you can use to make a website is notepad.The development time may seem longer for those who do not understand what is actually going on, but your code will always be more compact, streamlined and you will understand the reasons behind 'not' using certain technologies for certain tasks.

Learn to code by hand. Its long and arduous, but you 'learn' what is going on and what every single piece of your code does. Every piece of information you ever pick up will be understood by you and not just because you turned around to some program and said, 'I want this, there' which very often results in such bad code as it shouldnt be allowed to deface the net!"

Last edited by premiere; 28 November 2006, 15:14.

This was a permie ????

Comment

Both are permies.

Comment

Originally posted by premiere
        So there I am, sitting at a round table in the company restaurant at lunchtime, trying to eat and read The Sun...erm, I mean The Times and two other blokes decide to sit at the same table as me and rapidly begin to annoy the feck out of me.

I try to ignore them whilst reading all about the goings on in 'I'm a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here', when bloke number 1 asks bloke number 2 what he thinks in his opinion is a good piece of software for building websites.

The reply was (well something like this)..

"The best thing you can use to make a website is notepad.The development time may seem longer for those who do not understand what is actually going on, but your code will always be more compact, streamlined and you will understand the reasons behind 'not' using certain technologies for certain tasks.

Learn to code by hand. Its long and arduous, but you 'learn' what is going on and what every single piece of your code does. Every piece of information you ever pick up will be understood by you and not just because you turned around to some program and said, 'I want this, there' which very often results in such bad code as it shouldnt be allowed to deface the net!"

And your point is?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Notepad is for losers.

Edlin is the coming thing...
          copy con: index.htm

Comment

vi
            Me, me, me...

Comment

vi is awkward for large cut and pastes (or maybe I have become too dependant on a mouse + highlighting....)

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                vi is awkward for large cut and pastes (or maybe I have become too dependant on a mouse + highlighting....)
                It can be done though. For more comfortable text editing joe is nice a WordStar like app.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead
                  It can be done though. For more comfortable text editing joe is nice a WordStar like app.
                  Not saying it can't be done, just that it is awkward

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    And don't forget the Control Z at the end...
                    Those were the days, eh?

Comment

Working...
                    X