• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was this racist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was this racist?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...ts/6191832.stm

Officers reprimanded over e-mail
    A "racist" e-mail has resulted in 100 Hertfordshire police officers and civilian staff being disciplined.
    Fifteen of the most senior officers and staff were given formal reprimands, or the civilian equivalent, for distributing the visual message.

Another 85 were disciplined with either a formal warning or management advice.

The e-mail, originating from the US, shows a black suspect being decapitated on railings after jumping from a flyover after a pursuit by police.

The series of images is entitled "Do not run from the police". A senior officer said it could have been perceived as racist.

Disappointed by conduct

Hertfordshire Police mounted a "robust" investigation into the distribution of the e-mail, under the supervision of the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

A total of 400 officers and staff at the force received it, 300 of whom deleted it. However, it was circulated by the other 100.

Of those, 15 were in "supervisory roles". Eight police officers were given a formal reprimand and seven police staff handed final written warnings.

Deputy Chief Constable Simon Ash said: "I am disappointed by the conduct of officers and staff who distributed this inappropriate image that some people may have perceived as being racist.

"Through this investigation we have been able to clearly re-state the high standards of conduct required from everyone who works for us - this is no less than our public should expect and demand of us."

Alicia Moore, of Hertfordshire's Black Police Association, said the disciplinary sanctions were "appropriate".

"We see this outcome as an opportunity for us all to learn from the investigation and to be able to move on," she said.

President of the Black Police Association Keith Jarrett said disciplinary action should have gone further.

"I don't think a robust enough sanction has been taken against the officers concerned, especially the supervisory ones," he said.

"It is, at best, disrespecful to the black people that live in Hertfordshire."

=================================================

The message was 'don't run from the police'. If the guy doing the running was white would there have been any complaints. I fail to see where the race of the person running from the cops was mentioned. So what they are saying is that it might be OK to forward emails poking fun at the misfortune of others so long as that person is not black.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Is there a "White Police Association"?

Comment

"It is, at best, disrespecful to the black people that live in Hertfordshire."

Tosh.

Comment

I had the same thoughts... yeah the picture might be of a black suspect but the message made no reference to race, or linked race to crime rates or likelihood to commit crimes.

Of course the association for black police officers thought that the disciplinary action should have gone further.

I'm getting a bit sick of how the Black (and Muslim) police associations seem to get in the press more than the Chiefs of police
        Their view is important but I get the feeling that the media is either pandering to their constant attempts at getting more media exposure or just using them to help build a more sell-able news story.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Load of rubbish!! Pinko commie PC bastards!!!!

Comment

Is it on YouTube yet?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I don't think it is racist, but it is certainly highly inappropriate for the law enforcement folk.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                Pinko commie PC bastards!!!!
                Oi! Stop being offensive to pink people.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                  Is there a "White Police Association"?
                  yeah the freemasons...
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    I don't think it is racist, but it is certainly highly inappropriate for the law enforcement folk.
                    why is it in appropriate... I'm not saying i would find that amusing but i bet after being a police for a few years this kind of thing has at least an eyebrow raising irony in it...
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Working...
                    X