• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A fecked up country...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fecked up country...

Ethnic and religious courts are gaining ground in the UK. Will this lead to different justice for different people?

Aydarus Yusuf has lived in the UK for the past 15 years, but he feels more bound by the traditional law of his country of birth - Somalia - than he does by the law of England and Wales.

"Us Somalis, wherever we are in the world, we have our own law. It's not Islamic, it's not religious - it's just a cultural thing."

The 29-year-old youth worker wants to ensure that other members of his community remain subject to the law of their ancestors too - he helps convene an unofficial Somali court, or "gar", in south-east London.

So how did this court come about? Some academic lawyers see these alternative legal systems as an inevitable - and welcome - consequence of multiculturalism.

Dr Prakash Shah, of London's Queen Mary University, advocates this "legal pluralism".

"Tribunals like the Somali court could be more effective than the formal legal system in maintaining social harmony."
    day after day it seems this country is going down the toilet
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Bring on court of Borat!
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Not really. Read the "God Deluision" by Richard Dawkins and see ....
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Oh, good - I've always wanted my very own legal system......
        Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Fecked country is that where you drive from work and police armed with submachine guns stops your car, measures CO2 from exhaust pretending you have got too high level and unless you pay them off they will waste few hours of your time or more likely find something else.

Fecked up country is also one where an LTD must do monthly reports to the Tax Office with dozen papers (for different taxes) filled in in different places, all of which have got queues, and they change forms every month, and in any case you can't possibly fill in them correctly so you get fines.

Also totally fecked up country is where the Govt's motto is:

You can vote for us, or not vote for us,
          In any case we will **** you up the ***e

Now that's fked up country - and UK is like heaven.

Comment

I can't stop now: a fked up cuntry is where there is a draft (national service) in which every year around 1000 soldiers die from either suicide or murder because of bullying.

A fked up country is where the whole nation seems to be hell bent on voting for people who would stuff them again, and again, and again and forever.

Fk it, I am sad now.

Comment

We're getting there but not there yet, Vote Tory next time, you know it makes sense.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by hattra
                Oh, good - I've always wanted my very own legal system......
                What does that mean? I'm pissed now, but to be really free, we need to get rid of the Anglican Church. If we have a Prime Minister who professes to be a Christian, I wonder if "voices" told him to go to Iraq.
                It's a national disgrace ...
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Church is not that powerful here, in fact I find that guy from Cantenbury pretty reasonable smart chap.

What happens in a truly fecked up country? Well, because the head of state proclaims to be christian all other Govt officials do the same, so the Church (just one even though multiple faiths exist in the country) gets tax benefits, and effectively it can demand payments from companies in form of forced "sponsorship".

Foreign faiths, especially those close to the official faith are not given visas and crap like that.

Oh, and the constitution explicitly separates religion and the state, but it is blatanly circumvented in favour of just one faith.

Here the Queen is the head of the Church,but I don't see her giving Anglican church tax benefits or even forcing anyone to pray in church and crap like that.

Conclusion - you guys just don't know how bad it can really be, so be grateful for what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    What does that mean? I'm pissed now, but to be really free, we need to get rid of the Anglican Church. If we have a Prime Minister who professes to be a Christian, I wonder if "voices" told him to go to Iraq.
                    It's a national disgrace ...
                    one that expresses my own personal social views and traditions i.e I am always right/ innocent
                    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Working...
                    X