• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partner running limited company and being director.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partner running limited company and being director.

Hi,

Is there any legal problems with having your partner/wife/husband as sole director and yourself as employee?

Thanks

Originally posted by whitelined View Post
    Hi,

Is there any legal problems with having your partner/wife/husband as sole director and yourself as employee?

Thanks
    If your partner/wife/husband is disqualified from being a company director, then yes.

Do you want to be a bit more specific about the nature of your query?

Comment

Whatever the legal situation is, you aren't going to get any work via agencies with them stipulating you are the director/100% shareholder thing that seems to becoming more and more prevalent.

You'd need to tell us what you are trying to achieve. It may be legal but no use if you can't bring a penny in doing it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I was told by ip practitioner that best I go bankrupt with debt load, and start new company with partner's as director, and running business. It was mentioned like a thing that happens a lot, but not sure on it.

Comment

I was told by ip practitioner that best I go bankrupt with debt load, and start new company with partner's as director, and running business. It was mentioned like a thing that happens a lot, but not sure on it.
          Certain sectors will not let you work in them again.

Finance and defence for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

+1

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Not wanting to be all negative as usual but I think it's going to be even worse than that.

He's not going to be able to work for ant agent that is looking for him being a major shareholder. Been a few posts about this but I don't know how widespread it is or if it's going to get worse.

Won't a bankruptcy show up on even a basic credit check? Finance and defense will be an absolute no no but won't it all also be bad news for any gig that does a basic check. What will they do? What's the point if they do a credit check and it comes back showing massive debts and a bankruptcy and they don't do anything about it?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I was about to say I have never had a credit check for contract, but I did once as part of mod sc clearance. Not planning on ever working for government again.

Comment

I was about to say I have never had a credit check for contract, but I did once as part of mod sc clearance. Not planning on ever working for government again.
                  Who are you planning on contracting for?

Comment

Going to provide design consultancy services for an Engineering company.

Comment

Working...
                    X