• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Andy Robinson goes - finally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy Robinson goes - finally

While I personally think he should have gone some time ago, the structure of the RFU needs to change and I particularly like his big 'xxxx you' in the final paragraph of his statement...

Press Statement from Andy Robinson OBE

29 November 2006

Following last Saturday’s match v South Africa my position remained that I was confident that I would coach the England Team through to a successful World Cup in 2007, not withstanding the setbacks that we have had through the autumn. It is my understanding that I had, and still have, the support of the England players and the England management team.

However, in the last 48 hours, I have been advised by senior colleagues that those who have governance over me – the RFU Management Board - do not, and will not, continue to support me as England Head Coach.

Therefore, it is with regret that I have agreed a parting of the ways with the RFU and I will cease to be England Head Coach with immediate effect.

For 6 years I have been proud to work with some outstanding people in the England team management and in the England Squad. They all understand the responsibility, sacrifice and hard work that it takes for England to win. I would like to thank each of them for their support and professionalism throughout.

On the occasion of my departure I leave very much hoping that rather than sacrificing any more England victories and sacrificing more quality coaches, that the professional game in this country admits that the current structure and system for developing Elite Rugby players and performance in the International arena is not working. If that is so then my successor may have a sensible platform from which to meet everyone’s expectations for England success.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 30 November 2006, 14:02.
    Older and ...well, just older!!

I was not following all that rugby malarkey, so please tell me - what was his views on the house prices in the UK?

ta

Comment

The whole scene is a joke.

Lack of good players available.

Robinson undermined the game by favouring Rugby League players who were no better, then undermined his captain by bringing Delaglio back.

The RFU sacked all Robinson's coaches, appointed their own, since when results have gone from bad to worse.

The RFU now have about four layers of directors and committees above the head coach, all with different priorities, ideas and experience (WTF are they all for?)

It's no wonder Woodward left.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        And it's no wonder Rob Andrew doesn't want to take up the poisoned chalice...
        "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Who will do the Weakest link now?
          I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            The whole scene is a joke.

Lack of good players available.

Robinson undermined the game by favouring Rugby League players who were no better, then undermined his captain by bringing Delaglio back.

The RFU sacked all Robinson's coaches, appointed their own, since when results have gone from bad to worse.

The RFU now have about four layers of directors and committees above the head coach, all with different priorities, ideas and experience (WTF are they all for?)

The players cannot even do the basics of the game like give and take a pass (UNLIKE THE WOMEN ON THIS BOARD )

Comment

And people want Martin Johnson to be the next head coach? While I respect him immensely, he would be a useful forwards coach. But head coach? I don't think so.

And you're right, take an axe to the RFU structure...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

This all begs the question, why did William Webb Ellis pick up the football? why o why o why?
                I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Enough said really - it needs a complete revamp in order to be successful. That should have been obvious when everyone retired or left after the World Cup!!

I was at Twickenham for the first SA game. The mood was not good and quite rightly so! The play was awful despite winning!!

Comment

However, on the positive side, the people at Bath Rugby think it's a good thing that they might get him back here...

And it's all very well him complaining about the grass roots structure - that was in his remit to resolve. Let's hope the next guy at least gives caps to players with more thn 10 minutes experience at a senior level

Then again, I'm Welsh, so the longer England flounder in their own ineptitude the better!
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X