• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drawing up a license agreement - legal recommendations/experiences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing up a license agreement - legal recommendations/experiences?

Easy all. My Plan B involves selling a piece of software I wrote - I've got some basic T's & C's that people are pretty much happy with, based on my standard licensing model (1 license per machine).

As a one off, I've quoted $BigCorp the option of an All You Can Eat license. My software is pretty cheap in bulk (Hindsight, eh!), so this isn't life changing money territory though it will be a decent windfall. The problem is that they're now looking for more formal terms of the AYCE license (I.e., what they can do it with it). Truth is, I'm not overly fussed from a personal perspective - Plan B has got a finite shelf life so for me it's just a case of making money while the sun shines. But, I figure I need to get something a bit more proper drawn up for them.

So, anyone got any solicitor recommendations? How much should I look to pay for something like this?

This is my first post here- feel free to take this with a pinch of salt. I sell a SAAS product to a small number of clients.

Being perfectly honest, we borrowed from T&Cs from a related product. We needed something, though didn't make financial sense to hire a lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by churchillsnip View Post

Being perfectly honest, we borrowed from T&Cs from a related product. We needed something, though didn't make financial sense to hire a lawyer.
      The correct word is 'stole'. You stole the T&Cs from a related product and you hoped that the related product was worth the financial outlay.

Unless it wasn't and the contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by churchillsnip View Post
        , though didn't make financial sense to hire a lawyer.
        I bet you won't think that when something goes wrong and you need clauses in the T&Cs to keep you out of trouble.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X